We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Marseille

Help!! My husband and I are flying to Marseille for a week in June, can anyone recommend where to stay, we wont have a car so will be travelling by train. We want a seaside resort with lots of nice shops and restaurants. Has anyone got any recommendations..

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille

Hello,

I understand that you are flying into Marseille but do not intend to stay there as you are talking about a seaside resort, correct?

The quaintest resort around is Cassis: a small fisherman's village that has remained out of the glitz and glamour even though like any seaside resort there are plenty of boutiques and restaurants, but fishermen still sell their catch on the port if you are up early enough! From Marseille Marignane airport it is only a 1/2 hour to 45 mn drive. By public transportation it is a bit more complicated as you need to go to Aix-en-Provence or Marseille first: bus from airport to Marseille then Marseille to Cassis.

Let me know if I am going in the right direction for you!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille

HI, thankyou for that, it was very useful. Yes we are flying to Marseille (we got really cheap flights!) but don't want to stay there. We haven't been to that part of the world before so are open to suggestions.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseille

Agreed: there are interesting things to see in Marseille (I lived there a few years) but not a place to stay for a visitor. It is the or one of the largest Mediterranean ports with the good the bad and the ugly...

I will then continue to pursue the Cassis idea, as I spent my summers growing up there, and I think it is as quaint as quaint can get near Marseille! If you are ready for the 2 bus thing airport --> Marseille --> Cassis.

There is a unique thing there called calanques which is basically mini fjords that can be visited by boat, and in June you can hike in the calanques too if you are into that.

There is a mini bus that can take you to the train station if you want to visit places outside of Cassis as for a week you will need to do some day trips that I can also suggest as we move along.

In terms of accomodation there is:

1)Hotels see TripAdvisor comments for the below:

- l'Hotel du Golfe: great location right on the port

- Hotel les Roches Blanches: pricey but impeccable so if on a budget ...

- Hotel La Rade Best Western Cassis

there are others so browse internet.

- Rental of a self catering appartment that is rented weekly you can bring your sheets and towels or rent them, fully equiped kitchen... For this you can try a realestate agency like www.castellas-immobilier.com; or www.inprovence.webs.com; www.agencefalque.fr

Let me know when you are ready for more.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marseille

To the west from Marseille the closest seashore place of interest would be Sts. Maries de la Mer, admittedly not easy to reach from Marseille without a car. To the east there are several locations starting with Cassis.

Cassis is a wonderful location but I do not completely agree that it has remained away from the traveling public's attention. While June is not the chaotic month that August is, this small coastal community will be filled with people so if you have not already done so, try to find a place to stay quickly. On the weekends in June, Cassis will be absolutely packed with visitors.

Continuing eastward there are interesting beach locations in Bandol and on to Six-Fours les Plages.

These areas have both bus and train service from Marseille.

For more information:

http://www.bandol.fr/

http://www.six-fours-les-plages.com/

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marseille

I agree there are other options, but not as quaint, just as crowded, further out and no calanques... June and September nearly not as crowded except week ends for locals maybe and a few "non school vacation vacationers", definitely not week days. I lived in Marseille 10 years and went to Cassis Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

France is notoriously July/August for mass north to south transit and crowds.

But again yes, these ather options that merit being looked at and explored.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marseille

Thankyou for that, it was very helpful

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marseille

Glad to help. Let me know where you went and your impressions!

Best regards

los angeles
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marseille

i read that the calanques are closed in JUly and August due to fire season. Is this correct?

we will be based in St. Remy with a car and want to do a day trip to Marseille area -- just to spend a few hours in the old port area. Would we also have time to see calanques and cassis?

We will be there in early July. However, the days we could go are weekend days or a Monday and it seems weekends are very crowded in Cassis and the Marseilles sights/museums are closed on Monday.

Any input appreciated!

thanks.

p.s. we will be in Provence for a week and this is just one of our planned day trips.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marseille

The city of Cassis went from a total Calanques shut down in July/August and out cry from summer visitors, to a more day by day approach. If there is Mistral, the dominant north to south wind, or any wind, the Calanques are closed due to high risk of fire propogation. If they are closed you can still take the boat trips to see the Calanques. Need to check but I think that even when closed you can get dropped off then picked up from the Calanques after a few hours of swimming and sun.

During your period of travel there will be people everywhere on week-ends so may as well be in a nice spot!

10. Re: Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 05:25