We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon or Aix?

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon or Aix?

I only have a day and a half in Provence. Should I spend it in Aix or Avignon? This will be in October

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Since you have not provided any idea of what types of things you would like to see and do, it is impossible to make a valid recommendation as to where you should stay. Also, it would help if you could tell us where you will be coming from, your next destination, and whether you will be travelling around via public transportation or intend to have access to a car.

I urge you to visit your local bookstore and look through a couple of good guides for the area, such as:

The Rough Guide: Provence

Cadogan Guide, Provence

Ulysses, Provence & the Cote d'Azur

Time Out, Provence

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Thanks!

I'll have a rental car and will be driving up from Antibes/Nice. Will be headed to Paris, probably on the train. Will drop off the car in either Aix or Avignon. I like history, culture, art.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon or Aix?

If I had to choose between Aix and Avignon, I'd opt for Avignon. Hopever, when we are in Provence, we rare really not seeking an urban experience, as we really enjoy a smaller town or, better still, a true village as a base.

If you want a small town, I urge you to consider St. Remy, as it has wonderful Roman ruins nearby and is but a 12-15 minute drive to Les Baux (Medieval ruins) and only about 35 minutes from Arles (more wonderful Roman ruins and a wonderful museum devoted to Provencal culture that was established by Mistral himself..

If you would consider a true village experience, check out Maussane-les-Alpilles. It sits just below Les Baux, amidst thousands of acres of vinyards and groves of olive trees - the valley is surounded by craggy limestone peaks, Les Alpilles (little Alps), is only a 12 - 15 minute drive to St. Remy, and is has some wonderful restaurants.

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon or Aix?

wonderful! thanks for the info

provence
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon or Aix?

I second Avignon though you will probably drive around Aix on you way from Nice.

I always get lost in Aix as they always seem to be doing roadworks there - last week I nearly left the car there and caught a bus out!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon or Aix?

If you do go to Aix, do not waste time looking for a parking place on the street as there are few. Accept the fact that you will be using a paid parking lot and pull into the first one you see, it´s very easy to walk around the city center.

Just look for the blue square signs with a white ¨P¨ in the center.

Same for central Avignon but there are a good number of free parking lots just outside of the old city walls.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 17:04
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon or Aix?

I second Avignon. A day and a half? Is that just one or two nights? We were amazed how different we found the atmosphere in Avignon during the day (the French at work) versus at night (the French at play). Wonderfully medieval setting you know. Have fun.

8. Re: Avignon or Aix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 05:19