We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Hello

I am looking for a lovely, charming village with plenty of flowers around and a gentle atmosphere to which we can get without a car and which is not too far from the coast (up to four hours by train). Thank you very much for your suggestions.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.60*
US$108.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$132.10*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.60*
US$108.40
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Villeneuve-les-Avignon is right across the river from Avignon and reachable by bus or taxi from Avignon; it's a charming village; never been there in summer but imagine it has lots of flowers!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

I like Uzes, about 50 minutes west of Avignon by bus. Most of the places that fit your description are obtainable only by those with a car.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Thank you very much for both of your suggestions.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,561 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

You could consider Tourrettes-sur-Loup, a little mountain village known for its artisans. It's not far from Vence and St-Paul-de-Vence, both of which have flowers. From Tourrettes you can get to the beach in about half an hour by bus.

Over on the coast to the west is the lovely little village of Bormes-les-Mimosas, absolutely loaded with charm and flowers cascading down the walls of the old houses. I don't know for sure, but I think you could take the train to Hyères (another very pretty town) and then the bus to Bormes. With a car, the beach at Le Lavandou is just a short trip away; don't know about bus service. But Bormes is about the prettiest little village we've seen; think Carmel.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

I am so pleased the Catullus suggested Torrettes Sur Loup. I was afraid to suggest it as I hadn't been there, but it came to mind when I read your post. I don't know how I've missed Tourrettes, but it's my list for the fall. Read the reviews here of this lovely inn:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187243-d324022…

and here's the link to the website:

translate.google.com/translate…

SelkieNice has been kind enough to provide me with taxi numbers in both Vence and Tourrettes Sur Loup as well as the bus numbers between the two locations. If the bus schedule doesn't meet your needs, taxis are available. It's takes less than 15 minutes to travel between Vence and Tourrettes, and I'm going to guess, about 30-40 minutes to the Cagnes Sur Mer train station. From there you can get to just about anywhere along the coast, or you can link with buses inland from either the station, an adjoining train stop or in Vence. I'll be glad to share what information I have if this is a location that interests you, or perhaps SelkieNice and others will join the discussion.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

I would agree that Tourettes-sur-Loup is a great choice - a very picturesque hill village full of artists in real workshops, not just expensive art dealers like St Paul de Vence. And nowhere near as heavily touristed. Best of both worlds.

BTW I think Bormes les Mimosas is one of the places heavily hit by the flash floods two days ago. I don't know to what extent facilities have been affected or when one can expect a return to 'normal'.

Ed

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,561 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Oh, I hope not--such a nice spot.

This reminds me of the time we were in Nyons when the rains hit, and we just managed to drive through the old part of the town before the waters rose. We were on our way to Le Poët-Laval had to cross a bridge under which the waters were very high. There was a busload of people standing around watching the waters rise up to brush the bottom of the bridge--crazy!

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Hi,

Can somebody recommend a charming village on the way from Avignon to St.Raphael which has not been hit by the flood?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

Thank you everyone for being so helpful!

10. Re: A lovely little village with plenty of flowers without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17