We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Sea or not to Sea?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
To Sea or not to Sea?

All, thanks to this site, I've gotten a lot of great advice, and hopefully given some too.

Anyway, I am returning to Provence, for a second time, for work again, but this time bringing my wife for her first trip to Provence: I had planned our three days as follows (all day trips from Avignon) but she would really like us to get to the Sea....

Day 1 - MONDAY - to the East (Luberons) - L'isle sur la Sorgue/Fontaine de Vaucluse/Gordes/Rousillon

Day 2 - TUESDAY - to the South - St. Remy/Les Baux/Arles

Day 3 - WEDNESDAY - to the North/West - Uzes/Oranges/Chateau neuf-du-Pape

First , in order to find the water, i thought perhaps we'd go to Cassis on Day 3 instead of the itinerary above. Would you agree thats the best tradeoff?

Second - If so, is Cassis the right choice, if not, where?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Fontaine de Vaucluse
Fontaine de Vaucluse
Vaucluse, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Restaurant Les Baux
Restaurant Les Baux
278 Reviews
Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Uzes
Uzes
Gard, France
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

How about taking her down into the Camargue. It's beautiful, has great sandy beaches, handsome black bulls, pretty pink flamingoes, and wonderful white horses. There are also some wonderful places to eat, and if you want a bit of history, Aigues-Mortes was the port of departure for the French crusaders. Another thing that you might want to consider doing is contacting the Association camarguaise de tourisme equestre for a list of outfits that offer rides around the lagoons - it's a wonderful way to get close to nature in a uniquely beautiful area.

I like Cassis, but I think that the Camargue has a bit more going for it.

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
192 Reviews
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
provence
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

I second the Camargue but what time of the year are you going - the Camargue in winter is not that nice an area.

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
192 Reviews
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

We are actually going next week. The Camargue is a great idea. Thanks so much. Also, i've never been to Aix. Is that a missed opportunity? I am sure we'll be back but as its my wife's first time to Provence, I wanted to hit the highlights... trying to fit it the luberon on the first day, south to arles the second day and camargue the third day is plenty i think? do you all agree? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Camargue
The Camargue
192 Reviews
England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

Aix has been on my list of places to visit for decades, and I just happened to pass a few hours there on Thursday, on my way from Avignon to Marseille airport. Unless I've missed something spectacular, I can't see why you should spend part of your limited 3 days travelling to Aix, if you are already staying in Avignon.

I'd stick with your itinerary - it's already looking quite busy - and it was very hot there last week. Our hire car's a/c was struggling, so don't aim to spend too long on the roads. The new Musée de l'Arles Antique is a good refuge from the midday heat, with plenty to see if you like Roman artifacts. You could either include it on your visit to Arles or on the way back from the Camargue.

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Marseille Airport
Marseille Airport
Marignane, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
The Camargue
The Camargue
192 Reviews
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

I have to admit that I am in full agreement with AllonsEU with regard to Aix. Although it is a favorite destination for many folks here on TA, in all honesty, I just don't get it.

With regard to your travel plans, I urge you to not just do drive-by/quick visits. If you fall in love with the first or second destinations assigned for a given day, just stay there and really explore - have a back-up plan for where to have your mid-day meal, and then go on.

Trust me, she's going to get hooked, and the two of you will be back in Provence relatively soon

Edited: 07 July 2010, 01:59
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

Thank you for the great advice AllonsEU and AlpillesGal! And its great advice to play it by ear. I remember being at the market in St. Remy and instead of a 2 hour visit, it ended up being a 5 hour stroll sampling the cheese, pate, sausage, honey, and produce - baguette in hand...

7. Re: To Sea or not to Sea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 08:28