We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

Does anyone know the harvest time of lavender gardens surround the Abbaye Notre-Dame?

Will they will harvested before 8 August?

Many thanks as seeking the best route to go for Lavenders and still not very prepared yet.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

there are hundreds of abbeys called Abbaye Notre-Dame -which one do you mean ?

Edited: 14 July 2010, 18:53
London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

.... De Senanque?

Sorry wasn't aware that ;p

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

Hi -

FYI - Notre Dame means Our Lady - and probably 30% of RC churches around the world are named Our Lady of Something or Somewhere, hence the need to be specific with the title.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

You might just be lucky but...

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

does it mean a No? Hm,,, what annoyed me was found nowhere to phone them and ask either.;( sad!! Thanks for replying!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

Hi Sologirl2010,

The problem is that no harvest, regardless of whether it is fruit, vegetable, grain or floral, adheres to a strict timetable. Unfortunately, for us tourists, we have to realize that the time of harvest is primarily determined by weather conditions throughout the growing season.

In general, I watch the weather conditions in a very specific part of Western Provence throughout the year, and while that area is not right next to the Abbaye de Senenque, it's not that far (as the crow flies) and I can tell you that this year, throughout much of the region, the late Spring and early Summer, have been quite nteresting weatherwise - somewhat cool and wet early on, and lots of really hot and dry weather more recently.

Your best bet will be to contact the local tourist Office via e-mail, a couple of days prior to your arrival and ask them if the lavender has already been harvested. You could even to begin checking the tourist Office web-site every week, looking for notices regarding the harvers (recolte).

While the lavender field next to the Abbaye de Senanque is especially photographic, you may want to also consider just getting into the car and exploring some of the other areas where lavender is farmed extensively. Many of them are not that far away, and a number are somewhat to the North, which may mean that they may be harvested a wee bit later. However, keep in mind that, generally speaking, you are at what would normally be considered to be the very end of the lavender harvest.

7. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 November 2015, 14:43
London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

so many thanks for the above kind replies.

Might have to phone the local tourist in the end then. Whilst trying to book my accommodations in the Provence and got 2 routes in my mind.

The only alternative for me could be go to the Alpes-De-Haute then hoping those lavendars are still not harvested.

For you very much for sharing!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

I've been to the Senanque Abbey two days ago, most of the lavender is still there. Bad news is, that the small field of lavender closest to the Abbey and which makes almost every postcard apparently was not even planted.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lavender Gardens surround Abbaye Notre-Dame harvest time?

Darth

it wasn't there in 2008 either, it was planted to a grain, maybe wheat. Lavender is a perennial, it flowers again and again, so they have removed the lavender plants there for some reason, maybe disease. The abbey is worth visiting anyway.

2008 nickbooth.id.au/Images/France08/Lynn/157Prov…

2004 www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1375504