We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out by myself

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out by myself

I am traveling to the Provence next week (yay!!!!) on a trip by myself. I have read of some wonderful restaurant recommendations on the forum that I would love to try, but feel a tad bit awkward going out to eat alone. What do you guys think? Are there restaurants that maybe have a bar where I can eat? Is it accepted to eat at a table by myself? I'll be in Cannes, Nice and Aix mostly. Let me know what you think!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out by myself

<<Is it accepted to eat at a table by myself?>>

Yes

Take something to read if you must but no one will notice you.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,153 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out by myself

All perfectly normal. You'll be seated at a table set for two, and the other setting will be removed. A book is a good idea, but I expect you'll be so busy people-watching and then eating and drinking that you'll not have much time for it!

Hope you have a great time, and if you pop back to report how you got on, it will help others who are wondering, just as you did!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out by myself

yes, its acceptable to eat by yourself. i usually have a book with me

i can't think of many restaurants with separate bars to eat in but there lots and lots of places which do food informally if thats what you mean

In some informal places with tables close together , you might well end up in conversation with your neighbours, if that interests you.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 17:04
Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out by myself

I did it today in Aix! as laying over between two work week here. No problems.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
975 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out by myself

It is still important to point out, that some of the most popular restaurants may refuse to serve a single customer. But that is rare.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 17:54
6. Re: Eating out by myself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 07:28