We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence

Seattle
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Provence

We have two open days in April outside of Paris. Have never been there. Any suggestions please??

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence

If you are in Paris and want to spend two days outside of Paris I would recommend somewhere other than Provence. It is too far and the attractions too spread out to get much out of it in two days time. Better areas would be The Loire, Normandy or Burgundy. Loads of castles in the Loire, DDay sites in Normandy and wine trail in Burgundy. Or, you could consider making two single day trips from Paris to places like Provins, Sens, Senlis, Reims, Rouen, Giverny, Compiègne, Versailles, Fontainebleau, Chantilly etc. I would suggest buying a good guidebook or two and see what might interest you in these regions/places. Your time will be much better spent in the places I have suggested.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence

While I totally agree with the sentiments behind the last post I would not discount a visit to Provence.

The TGV leaves direct from the centre of Paris and will have you in Avignon in around 3 hours having passed by (at speed) the changing French countryside.

The light of Provence would also be a welcome contrast to Northern France.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence

I agree with boucheboy. Provence in spring is gorgeous and it's a good time to see Avignon outside the armies of summer visitors which make the place insufferable in June, July and August. The TGV is so fast that you would have the best part of two days there, just about the right time to relax and get to see the main sights.

I live in Marseille, and haven't been to Avignon for a couple of years, but when there I stayed in the Hotel Cloître Saint-Louis, a hotel in a beautiful converted monastery, which I'd recommend (unless it has changed beyond recognition!)

www.marseille-provence.info

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence

While I like Provence and spend about a month there each year, for someone with only 2 days away from Paris, my recommendation would be going to either Normandy or the Loire Valley.

Provence will require a 3+hour train in each direction to either Avignon or Aix-en-Provence and while these are both wonderful destinations, due to the distances involved, you´ll need much more time to see what is there than the 2 days you have available.

5. Re: Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 05:18