We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much to do so little time

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Too much to do so little time

Looking for suggestions for a trip to Provence.

We have 5.5 days. Based in Eygalieres

Day one is driving from St. Paul de vence. We will make a full day of this by doing a quick drive through the gorges du verdun for the scenery. I know it is a little out of the way and we would need more time, but this should give us a quick look.

That leave 4 full days, plus a fifth that we would have most of the day, but need to get to Nice airport hotel (plan on getting there in the evening as it is just a bed before the flight the next morning).

We think we want to see

Avignon

Chateauneuf de Pape (Wine is a priority)

Arles

St. Remy

Nimes

Les Baux

The camargue

too much to plan for 4.5 days? Any suggestions to help us prioritize?

1. Re: Too much to do so little time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 November 2015, 21:13
Edited: 07 November 2015, 21:13
Maine
Level Contributor
691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much to do so little time

Hi, two more must sees to add, Pont du Gard and a big outdoor market. You could go to Arles is on Saturday or St Remy on Wednesday. Another ruin (if that is what you are seeking in Nimes?) is just between Avignon and Chateauneuf du Papes is the antique theatre in Orange.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much to do so little time

Linking the Pont du Gard, which is truly outstanding, and a visit to Uzès on a Saturday for the enormous market is a good plan, with Uzès fairly early in the morning, as parking becomes difficult. Then a visit to Nimes later in the day for the arenes and the Maison Carré would make a good day trip.

In both Arles and Nimes, just coming across the amphitheatre as you walk/drive along is just amazing! I've never got over this after many years of visiting! The Palais des Papes in Avignon is stunning from the outside, and the old city is lovely; the 'petit train' is a good way of seeing the city briefly if you have abusy agenda.

I also love Aigues Mortes and the Camargue; we often take visitors to both, and everyone loves to see the bulls, white horses and flamingoes in their natural habitat.

Avignon and Chateauneuf du Papes link in well together. Orange's theatre is also great, as are the Roman sites near St Remy; love the Romann sites, not keen on St Remy.

You don't mention what time of year you'll be visiting; an important piece of info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much to do so little time

Thanks for the replies so far. WE are travelling this summer.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much to do so little time

My last trip included Les Baux, La Camargue and St. Rémy. I personally liked Les Baux the best of the three - it is beautiful and interesting. Try to avoid peak season weekends though - it can get crowded then. You could combine a visit there with a visit to one or two of the other nearby hilltop towns like Gordes and Roussillon - both interesting and beautiful.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much to do so little time

I did a similar trip and tried to fit everything in. Had to give up on Avignon as it is quite big and there was a lot of traffic and so unless you know exactly where you are going in the town and where to park, can eat into precious time.

Wine tasting - if it is a priority then make sure you research the wine houses before you go rather than just turning up, as they have different opening hours and not open every day - as far as I remember - so plan ahead to avoid disappointment.

St Remy, Les Baux, Arles, all lovely.

The Camargue, quite a big area and you may want to stop and do some horse riding as lots of stables along the way.

As for a 'quick' drive through the gorges, don't drive too fast as the road is quite tricky in parts as lots of hairpin bends. beautiful scenery though, you won't want to go too fast. took us about 2-3 hours I think to get from St Remy area across the lavendar plains to the gorges for some white water rafting.

we stayed in Mausanne which is a lively village not far from where you are staying and found a fab brasserie in Paradou.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, it's a fab area... you can always go back to see what you miss the first time.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much to do so little time

Well, it's all a matter of personal preference, isn't it? Do some research on The Luberon. In my book, it ranks above everyplace on your list with Arles a close second. If wine is a priority, as suggested by Diz, go to Gigondas. A tour of the beautiful Dentelles de Montmirail could easily fit into a day with C.du Pape and Gigondas.

So my 4-day schedule would be:

Day 1 The Luberon

Day 2 Arles and the Camargue, but you'll only have time to drive to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mere. Hit Les Baux on the way back if you have time.

Day 3 C. du Pape, Gigondas, Dentelles de Montmirail

Day 4 Avignon, Pont du Gard, Uzes

You can drive through St. Remy at any time, but don't take away time from other places to stop there.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 01:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too much to do so little time

Thanks all!!!!

So many great responses. This is now the best part of planning the vacation. Summer is still so far away, but I am getting excited already. Really looking forward to seeing this part of France.

Peter

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too much to do so little time

Hi Peter,

While I do want to provide you with some input vis-a-vis your initial question, it would really help if you could give us a bit more information regarding EXACTLY when you will be in Provence, especially since you only have 4.5 days to really explore a realtively large region. Personally, I hope that you will look upon this as your first visit, as opposed to your only one. Trust me - it's an area that deserves WAY more than a 4.5 day stay.

You can certainly think in terms of visiting the flowing sites in single day-trips:

St. Remy and Les Baux-de-Provence

Arles and the Camargue

The Southern Cotes-du Rhone, including Chateauneuf-du-Papes

Hoping to hear from you soon.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too much to do so little time

I like Texhills suggestion.

The only alteration I would make would be to the Camargue trip. I find Saintes Maries de la Mare a slightly depresing down at heel sort of resort and much prefer Aigiues Mortes a little further along - just my personal preference.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 12:27