We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town in Provence as home base?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which town in Provence as home base?

We attending a wedding in June. Found 3 rentals that are located in between the wedding and the reception sites. We are having a hard time deciding on which one to stay.

Does anyone know which of these three towns might be best as a home base? We are renting a car. We are looking for charming, authentic Provence. Quiet, but not too isolated.

1. St. Remy de Provence

2. Eygalieres

3. Paradou near Les Baux

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

Personally, I would urge you to look into either St. Remy or Maussane-les-Alpilles ( which is just down the road from Paradou).

Please keep in mind that most places are only rented by the week, with the week starting on Saturday.

You may want to check out -

www,valleedesbaux.com

It's well situated, and very comfortable

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

Thank you for your reply. Can I ask why you like Maussane les Alpilles better than Paradou? Thanks again!

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

While we love Paradou, and dine at the Bistrot du Paradou three or four times every September, Paradou itself doesn't have much of a true "town-center.

Maussane, on the other hand, has a lovely town square, where we frequently enjoy a glass of vin rose in the late afternoon. It also has a number of lovely restaurants and other businesses that give it a vibrant feeling.

Edited: 19 March 2011, 13:46
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

Thank you again.

provence
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

As usual I agree with AlpillesGal however I would also have a close look at Eygalieres while still relativly unspoilt but avoid St Remy which is fast becoming a parody of Provence (OK just my own opinion).

Maryland
Level Contributor
349 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

As someone preparing for our trip in September, why is St Remy so bad? It seems it is continuously recommened and bashed at the same time.

We are trying to find somewhere with an interesting town centre, with restaurants within walking distance after a long day of touring, and with several options for lodging.

We checked out Arles (seemed too big), Maussane les Alpilles (had a hard time finding well rated place to stay for 4 days), Gordes, and St Remy. Gordes and St Remy both seemed nice.

After searching the forum, St Remy kept being mentioned and we selected Hotel Sous les Figuiers for our stay.

After reading several comments from the experts, I wonder if we have made a mistake.

I would like to hear opinions on both sides. Is it that 'touristy'? Is it full of souvenir shops? Are the restaurants and hotels living off the location?

Thanks so much for any information.

Karen

7. Re: Which town in Provence as home base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 23:16