We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
464 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

My sister and I are doing a self-guided hiking tour of Provence for 5 days, between Fontaine de Vaucluse, Gordes, Goult, Lacoste and Bonnieux (I think there's one taxi ride in there). The company is recommending hiking boots, but as we want to do just carry-on, I'm wondering if tennis shoes will be enough. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Kultours - Day Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Liven Up
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours
Art and Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Riviera Come True
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

I don't think you need hiking boots but I wouldn't recommend tennis shoes or sneakers either. There are some very good medium weight hiking shoes out there. That is what we have worn on many a hike in the same general area. I think your feet will thank you if you wear something similar. Most of the trails are pretty rocky and uneven. I don't think tennis shoes will give you enough grip or enough protection for the soles of your feet. And I think you are likely to find that they will cause blisters. Whatever you decide to take make sure they are well broken in before you head off for your adventure. Find a good fairly rough trail locally and walk it a few times about the same distance as you will be walking in Provence. Nothing spoils a hiking holiday faster than blisters...

You can always wear the hiking shoes/boots on the plane.

You will be walking in some lovely country. Enjoy!

Edited: 10 May 2011, 18:14
2. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 20:01
Edited: 10 November 2015, 20:01
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,014 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

I always opt for walking boots; mine are a medium weight, and I wear them in UK, Scotand, France and further afield. Not only do you get a good grip and comfort, they are also very useful if you slip and maybe twist your ankle.

Good advice to wear them in a bit if you have to buy some to ensure comfort and to help avoid blisters, and I would also recommend wearing them on flights - it's a good dea to wear your heaviest things when weight is at a premium.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

Just adding my vote to the previous posts. In my neck of the woods (Southern Provence), the terrain is rocky, jagged, quite harsh and steep in places, and tennis shoes will be cut to pieces in an instant. I always wear hiking boots when out walking.

Up in Bonnieux, it might not be quite the same terrain, but I reckon a pair of good strong shoes with ankle support would come in mighty handy -- and, yes, wear them on the plane.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 20:28
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

Yep light hiking boots.

We got caught on a "light" stroll above Gigondas - what turned the gentle walk into a nightmare was the lack of proper foot ware.

Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

i would definitely wear walking boots for support, traction and to protect against loose, sharp stones and thorns,

i personally avoid vibram soles as they are extremely slippery when there is a light coating of water or polished stones [eg cobbles in mediaeval villages]

Edited: 11 May 2011, 12:41
7. Re: Light hiking in Provence - need boots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 03:15