We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What town or village to stay in?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
What town or village to stay in?

I am moving on in my search on the ultimate France vacation for Mum and I...

As Mum and I, also a woman, want a lot of things out of a place to stay. Ease in the evenings...walk to meals? Intersting stores to browse after a day of driving around Provence, but this location does not need to be the big place we are intending to see as we are renting a car. We would be ok spending $150 - $300 a night...erks? But we would like a reasonable selection...not to feel isolated and we need two beds in the room. A nice balcony to sit and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the world go by would also be a dreamy delight - but that is what cafe's are for...so again more of an emphasis on proximity to town cafe's and restaurants.

We do look forward to market...but that can be a part of our day journeys....history and ruins...but again - rental car. So help please with our home base?

Thank you!!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
125 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
402 reviews
from US$133.90*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
453 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Having now stayed three times in Provence or very close, in Uzes, L'Isle sur la Sorgue and a tiny place called Sablet make sure the place you choose has enough but not too much. We enjoyed Sablet but of the four restaurants on the square pizza was offered at each one and only one seemed to be a separate entity from the Sports Bar, which was the hub of the town. We would have preferred more choice and a bit more to do in the actual village, though we did join in a local wine tasting in the square.

We also enjoyed Uzes but it is quite a bit bigger. I think my favourite was L'Isle sur la Sorgue, both as a base for touring Provence and for the town itself. Accommodation right in the town can be a bit difficult to find. You could check this site as a starter

avignon-et-provence.com/vacation-rental-lube…

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Excellent information thank you...so am I off base dreaming of staying in a small charming town / village in a hotel with restaurants and cafes nearby? I did notice I am having a bit of a hard time finding quite the thing I had in mind. I worried that some of these stunning smaller villages / towns may not have much in the way of dining...but am I wrong in this? Really at the end of the day I am afraid of having that second glass of wine with dinner and then being arrested en route to our home...

I appreciate the link and will look into Uzes as well, although you say it is bigger...maybe it is smaller than Avignon?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Have you considered St Remy? We just spent 5 nights there and enjoyed it very much. Great market on Wednesdays, lots of good restaurants.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What town or village to stay in?

I have tried places in St. Remy but not come up with much - I am pretty limited in my internet sites to use...pretty much just www.hotel.ca so if you have a great suggestion for searching hotels in such lovely spots I would deeply appreciate it!

Did St.Remy have a variety of dining spots? Where did you stay if you don't mind me asking? What did you see from there?? Ok I guess I am asking for a trip report so if you already wrote one rather than cater to my demanding expectations....is there a link I could access please?

Thank you again for your assistance!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Totally agree with AALO8 in recommending St Remy.

While we love visiting L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, it is not a place that we would use as a base. Why - mostly because it is not really well centered.

Also hope that you will consider that there are a number of wonderful true villages near St. Remy that will be perfect if you want a real "village" experience - I urge you to check out Maussane-les-Alpilles ( only about a 12 - 15 minute drive from St. Remy) - as it has a wonderful "true" town/ village center with everything that I think you're looking for - ambiance, hotels, restaurants, etc. ...

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Excellent - Maussane-les-Alpilles!! I shall look into it straight away!! And it is good to know that St. Remy is more central...I think in my recent observations I noticed similar point.

Is it true that although Aix is glorious where it is glorious...there are many parts that are more developed and contemporary?

So places to seriously consider....Arles? St. Remy? Maussane-les-Alpilles? What about Loumarin?? Is that the name of the town?

Thank you!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Or should I be adding Bonnieux?

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What town or village to stay in?

Bonnieux is lovely but built up a steep hillside and also there are relatively few shops. St Remy would suit you better. I will also put in a vote for Apt and Carpentras, both good places to stay and less touristy than many.

9. Re: What town or village to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 22:18