We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go where after the Luberon?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Go where after the Luberon?

After a four-year gap, my daughter and son-in-law are joining my husband and me for a fortnight's stay in our favourite area of Provence, the Luberon, after which they return to London. We are spending a further week in Provence but my husband is keen on seeing other areas of Provence. We don't mind spending 3 or 4 days in a couple of places. Could any kind soul give us any suggestions? We are not looking for bright lights and a hectic party scene. We are keen on wandering round old towns and villages, markets and perhaps being guided towards some wonderful restaurants. I would be so grateful for any ideas.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go where after the Luberon?

Goeie Middag, Kaapstad!

Have you thought about Moustiers-Ste. Marie?

Moustiers is my favorite medieval town in France. It's a perched village, on a ledge halfway up the side of the mountain. It's 45 km east of Exit 18, the Manosque exit off the A51 autoroute.

Moustiers once had twice the population that's there now, back in the days when it was a refuge from Saracen pirates. It has a thousand-year-old crooked cathedral (it's tricky seeing the altar from the very back due to a dog leg). A little river runs through the heart of the village by way of a deep gorge.

Moustiers is famed for its lavender perfumes and for its porcelain, which you'll find sold throughout the town.

We like to climb the path up the mountainside to the little shrine 3/4 of the way up. If you do, please ring the bell for me! Going back down to the village, we got off the path to stroll through the olive groves.

There are several modestly-priced hotels in Moustiers, but since it's less than an hour from where you are, you could easily do it as a day trip. If you wanted to go a little further afield, the Grand Canyon of Verdon, a deep and scenic gorge plus look-off, start about 15 minutes drive east of the town.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Go where after the Luberon?

David, you dear man!

Thank you so much - the weird thing is I was thinking of Moustiers and the gorges - and you have now decided it for me. I will definitely ring the bell for you if I can drag the old bod up the hill...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this advice!

the ou Kaapse lady

3. Re: Go where after the Luberon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 17:17