We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence July with family

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Provence July with family

Hi, two adults and two kids (15, 13) will spend about 7 days in Provence area this July (will take TGV from Paris where we will spend 7 days before going to Provence.)First time there. I am overwhelmed with ideas and activities! Can anyone point me in the right direction with some quick suggestions? Here are the details of things we might like to do and see:

-active family

-water: fish, kayak, swim, etc.

-Roman ruins

-maybe one wine or lavender tour (kids not super into it)

-no strict budget on hotels; maybe stay in two places for a few nights each?

-would consider renting a home or apartment

-would consider seaside resort for part of the time

-room quality is less important as we are out most of the time

-can rent a car if that is best way to get around

-interested in "grand canyon"; hike, kayak/swim?

-willing to hire a personal guide for a couple of days

-open to all areas of Provence; never been there

-taking TGV from/to Paris so must consider that

-willing to do some driving touring but prefer not to spend each day in a car all day

-want to see small town life as well as ocean/city

Any help is appreciated. Two months of planning and we still can decide on a plan and it is getting late to book!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence July with family

With only a week I think you need to focus on key things you want to do because if you try to do too much you will miss out on the atmosphere of Provence.

When in July are you planning to visit? If late July the whole of Northern Europe will decend on the area at the start of the Annual Holidays.

I would certainly hire a car and would suggest renting a Gite with a swimming pool - though you may have left this too late.

Have a look at more guide books having narrowed down your must see/do list and then come back to the forum for suggestions on where to base yourselves.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence July with family

Will do; thank you. We be there mid July, just before the big surge of people!

3. Re: Provence July with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 November 2015, 15:38
Edited: 21 November 2015, 15:38
Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence July with family

Thank you! Had not seen the Michelin distance site yet; great stuff. I had heard about the "other canyon" yes it adds more (fun) confusion for us.

As far as villa with pool, I pushed for that and the rest have pushed for seaside resort so stalemate so far. Just hope we dont wait too long and have no choices.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provence July with family

I always suggest Cassis as a place to stay, it's a short drive from Marseilles, and it's right by the sea. Close to the Calanques, and there are some great walks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provence July with family

Will check it out; thank you.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provence July with family

I think you could split your week between two bases. I assume you will be renting a car. Cassis may be nice for a few days. Kids will likely enjoy the Calanques, but an overnight or two days would do it for me. I would suggest basing in the Luberon for the remains of the Provence stay with easy access to small towns, day trip to Avignon, Pont du Gard, day trip to/around Sault for lavender fields, market experience, day trip to the Dantelles and wine villages, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provence July with family

Great ideas. Thank you. We certainly have Avignon on our list and your plan sounds like a good way to split some ocean and some inland.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provence July with family

July - the kids would love to be near the beach...

Antibes / Juan-les-Pins

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provence July with family

Keep in mind that July is festival month in Avignon. Getting into and out of the city, by car, can be a horror. Not discouraging you, just warning you. Many streets will be closed to cars and/or re-routed. Finding parking can be extremely difficult (if you decide to rent a car).