We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with South of France itinerary....??!!

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Topic
Need help with South of France itinerary....??!!

Hi,

The husband and I will be travelling to France in June/July. We;re flying into Paris, where we'll be staying for 4 nights. The off to Lyon with the TGV (2nights). We're thinking of renting a car in Lyon to travel to Avignon (2nights) and Arles (1night). That's how far the formal planning goes :-)

I was thinking Aix-en-Provence 2 nights, Marseilles 1 night, and then Nice 2 nights... and to take daytrips from there.

What do you think? What would you change?

We'd like to enjoy the Provence countryside (lavender, markets, etc...), but would also like to see a bit of the Cote'd Zur.

I'd really appreciate you input, as this would be my husband's first time overseas!!

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with South of France itinerary....??!!

Well it may be your husband's first trip overseas but you are certainly doing a lot.

No comment on the Paris bit.

Lyon is certainly worth a visit.

Not sure on the car from Lyon to Avignon unless you want to meander down the Rhone valley as the most direct route is by the autoroute.

Car hire is expensive in France so I might be inclined to take the train but take it all the way to Nice.

Do some sight seeing in Nice and then hire the car to drive back to Aix/Avignon.

I would be inclined to pick one place as a base rather than moving around . So for example both Arles and Aix are easily accessed from Avignon

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with South of France itinerary....??!!

I would skip Marseille and spend another night in the Cote d'Azur. There is so much to see in that region, and Marselle was not my favorite stop on one of our trips.

Here is post I made after our last trip and how I get around in the Cote d'Azur via the regions excellent train and bus networks. After years of being baffled about how to get from the train stations and bus stop s to the parts of the towns I want to visit, I've included details on how I do this:

Train_station_or_bus_stop_Then_what-French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

Have a great trip!

3. Re: Need help with South of France itinerary....??!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:43