We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

Hi, we are 4 adults travelling by car from Carcassonne into the Provence area for 4 nights before heading over to Nice.

We are trying to decide where to stay and have looked at Arles, Avignon, Aix, St Remys and Marsielle.

We want to explore the area, look at scenery and some towns, markets and we love good food and wine.

Not sure what would be the best place to base ourselves and if we should stay in one spot and do day trips or split our time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

Staying in one spot will save you considerable time--no having to pack/unpack, check in/check out, and so on.

St-Rémy would be a good base, as from there you can easily visit Arles, Les Baux,the Pont du Gard, and Avignon. You could spend part of day in Aix on your way to Nice.

As for Marseille, unless there is something you specifically want to see, I'd suggest skipping that on a first trip to Provence. Four days will go very fast for the major sights.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

I urge you to follow Catullus' recomendation to establish a single base in, or near St. Remy, as it is a well centered base for exploring most of Western Provence via a series of daytrips.

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

St Remy is good. You can find nice hotels within walking distance of the village centre. There is a good market during the middle of the week, although it is slightly more orientated to tourists than localsI can't remember which day. Lots of places to visit as per posting here. Arles market is Saturday morning, its much bigger than St Remy - many locals buy produce here.

I'm not fond of Marseilles town. Aix and Avignon have more to see.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

Thanks for the responses, we are definitely now leaning towards St Remy to use as a base. Having said that, we are really struggling to find accomodation for June! We were hoping for a gite or somewhere with a pool.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

Gites generally are rented from Saturday to Saturday; so you probably would have difficulty securing a rental for just 4 nights. But you could have a go at finding a B&B or hotel with a pool. Check out the Château de Roussan, a very nice property with pool and a mini-canal with swans and geese. It's on a main road leading to and from St-Rémy.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

You might struggle for a gite for 4 days.

I am not a fan of St Remy -a little too touristy for my taste. However I do like the Alpilles National Park next to the town.

Have a look at the Mas du Capoun in Mollerges just down the road from St Remy. Never stayed there but it has some simple rooms, a swimming pool and a great restaurant (which we do use frequently) as well as a village location.

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

www.avignon-et-provence.com/index-en.html

Try this website. If you can't get anything in St Remy, try Maussane which is the next village and a little less touristy.

ck
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

At 'iheartravelling', can I ask how you got on with your trip? Have you any recommendations?

We will be doing something similar but driving from St Tropez and have four nights before returning to Nice for a late evening flight.

9. Re: Itinerary help - 4 nights in Provence with car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:18