We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 6 day Itinerary

US
Level Contributor
57 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 6 day Itinerary

We have 6 days & nights are flying in and out of Marseille on Sept. 18th, and we will have a car. We are considering the following itinerary: 2 nights Arles (day trip to Avignon) 2 nights Nice (day trip to Cap St. Jean Ferrat) and 2 nights in Aix or Cassis.

Should we trade Avignon for Nimes? Should we try to stay in a smaller town and simply drive into Nice? (Not sure of parking)

We considered Cassis over Aix simply because we thought it would allow us quick access to Marseille to take in a view of the city or port before we leave on a 1 pm flight

We want to make sure to include at least one coastal town. We are a 'mixed' group, one never to Europe prior, one seasoned traveler,never to south of France before, and I have been to Nice, Aix and Vence on a previous trip.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

I will prefer avignon to Nimes.

Aix is really nice but cassis is quaint and a little village (you can always drive to aix for a day trip : 45mn drive).

As for Arles, I prefer staying in a smaller village like st remy (20mn drive) to get the "village feeling"

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

Since you are flying in and out of Marseille, and will only be in the South of France for 6 days and nights, I urge you to esatblish a single, well centered base and really explore Western Provence, as opposed to trying to also visit the Riviera/Cote d'Azur and constantly relocating and just spending alot of time on the road.

St. Remy is a good base for exploring Western Provence, and if you want a more "village" type experience, you may want to consider the nearby village Maussane-les-Alpilles, which is only about a 15 minute drive from St. Remy. Situated just below Les Baux-de-Provence, it sits in a super-scenic site, a valley filled with olive groves and vineyards, surrounded by the craggy limestone peaksof the little Alps ( les Alpilles ).

UK
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

I wouldn't go all the way to Nice and back on such a short trip. I would spend half the time in Arles, the other half in Aix, which will provide you with two centres from which you can make short trips to other places including Cassis. Marseille airport is in fact equidistant between Aix and Marseille so Aix is a very convenient place to be if you are heading for the airport.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

I too would give Nice a miss on this trip and concentrate on the Aix, Avignon, Arles area. Include a visit to the Camargue for a different part of the area and a visit to Aigues Mortes.

Marseille is definately worth a visit but I might give Cassis a miss too - I like the town out of season but I just think in the time you have the day spent in Cassis might be better spent somewhere else.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

<<<2 nights Arles (day trip to Avignon) 2 nights Nice (day trip to Cap St. Jean Ferrat) and 2 nights in Aix or Cassis.>>

Two nights is really one day and a few hours upon arrival and prior to departure. If you want to do a day trip to Avignon, why not stay in Avignon? Same with with Coastal towns. If you have six nights, the most division you should really attempt is by two, or you will spend half of your holiday in checking in-unpacking-packing-checking out. Just my .2 cents on the subject.

6. Re: Help with 6 day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17