We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

We'll be spending 5 nights around Provence and we're torn between the 2 as a base (both houses are fairly similar).

Is there a particular benefit of one over the other? We'll be travelling in December by car coming from Montpellier and after 5 nights heading up north towards the Alps. We have 3 children who are aged 4, 7, and 9.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

In my opinion, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue would be better, for two main reasons:

1. It is smaller, so that traffic is not a problem and parking is quite easy to find (except on market day).

2. I feel that Arles is slightly less well-placed for seeing the attractive villages of Provence, although the relevance of this depends on what sights you want to see in this area.

UK
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

I would choose l'Isle sur la Sorgue too, since you have three children. It's much smaller than Arles but big enough to have a good range of restaurants. Additionally there is a nice park by the river, so if you want somewhere for your children to let off steam, it's very convenient.

Do not however miss out on a day trip to Arles, a lovely city with loads to see.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

Agree with Chic and Sydney.

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

Thank you all very much! Greatly appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

Quick update, was about to make reservations when I discovered that the holiday rental in L'isle sur la sorgue was going to cost 615 euros for 5 nights vs 320 euros for the one in Arles, granted it has 1 extra bed.

That's a significant price difference. Whilst we are happy to pay that amount for L'isle sur la sorgue, is the convenience worth that much more? Or do you think we're better off saving that money and driving a little more?

Thanks again for your help. Whilst its easy to look up google maps, its harder to get a feel for actual/realistic driving and travelling times having never been in the area before.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

While L'isle sur la Sorgue is thought by many to be a more suitable place for your family during your visit due to its size and position, almost double seems a huge price to pay.

Maybe a guide to what your family hopes to see and do while in the area would help here, so that a more targetted response can be given by posters, due to this news.

Are you totally fixed on one of those two houses - maybe you could give links so posters can see what they offer/where they are and maybe make other suggestions, possibly even in a different place that might suit your family even better.

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

We don't have any particular must-sees. We're very open to experiencing the various things that Provence has to offer from the cafe scene, to Medieval towns, to Roman ruins, visiting markets, etc I guess the towns that we've got on our list are very similar to most others - Avignon, Nimes, Camargue, Arles, St-Remy, Aix-en-Provence, Gordes, Le Baux, Pont Du gard, Menerbes, Roussillon, Fontaine de Vaucluse...

We're mindful that visiting in winter, the weather may not always be condusive to exploring the outdoors all the time, and that certain smaller towns may not be "alive". Also that it will most likely be that we will not be able to visit all, and that is ok. Our children fortunately travel well, and road trips are not a problem!

One of the problems we have with accomodation is that they are either not open during winter, require weekly rental or want a changeover on a Saturday (our dates are Tues to Sunday and unfortunately fixed because of ski resort that comes after). So in answer to your question, no we're not fixated on any particular accomodation. Having ruled out the more pricey houses (900euros and above) and those that wanted exorbitant security deposits, our top choices were:

Arles - http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p869048

Lisle Sur la sorgue - http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p869048

Fontaine de vaucluse which we ruled out as it was further away

Unfortunately, the ones at st Remy wanted 2 weeks rent as our stay included the changeover day of Saturday or never replied to my queries so i assumed they were not operating for those dates.

I apologise for this thesis...but I hope that helps!

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

I should add that the one place that we didn't look is Avignon as we thought staying in a smaller village/town might be an experience, but even that is negotiable!

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

I was kindly alerted to the fact that I copied the same link twice! Here is the correct like for the property at lisle sur la sorgue.. I can't seem to edit the earlier post anymore...

http://www.vrbo.com/420972

Edited: 10 July 2012, 12:21
Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Arles vs L'isle Sur La Sorgue as a base for 5 nights

i would chose ilse sur la sorgue and look for a comparable property. An additional bedroom comes at and additional price. try holidaylettings.co.uk who have a wide rsnge of properties. Good luck