We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Atlanta
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Will be in Aix en Provence for six days in early September. Mostly want to hang out and absorb the region, but feel compelled to check out a couple of the Roman ruins that fill Rick Steves' book. If you only had to hit one or two of Roman sites, what would they be?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Above all, Pont du Gard.

Then maybe Vaison la Romaine, or Glanum

Glanum itself is probably the better site but Vaison has so many more lovely villages nearby as well.

But then the theatre at Orange is so ginormous and stunning

...and Aix, and Nimes

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Arles and Pont du Gard , though technically the latter is not in Provence, to the west and if you are venturing eastwards, Frejus.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
219 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Vaiuson la Romaine - not only important Roman excavations but a lovely, lively town well worth discovering.

4. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2015, 00:11
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,856 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Vaison wins for "best of all worlds" -- the bustling modern town with it's *enormous* market on Tuesdays, the Roman village that is still amazingly complete, and the lovely medieval village up by the castle on the side of the hill.

UK
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Arles and the pont du Gard, not least because they are fairly near one another. Glanum is also nearArles though in the opposite direction. There is additionally a relatively unknown aqueduct near Fontvielle, see patrimoine.ville-arles.fr/arles/ville.cfm… While it's not in any way as spectacular as the pont du Gard, you do get to look at it in peace.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

The main sites I suggest are across the Rhone, in the Gard area of the Languedoc. The Pont du Gard, which is truly amazing should be on your list. This could be combined with a visit to Nimes,which has a wealth of Roman sites. First the Roman arena, one of the best preserved in the world, and the Maison Carrée, one of the best-preserved Roaman buildings, plus the Jardin de la Fontaine for the Magne Tower and the Temple of Diana.

I'm also a fan of Vaison la Romaine and of Arles.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

Vaison la Romaine definitely. Pont du Hard for sure. We liked Arles too and took the opportunity to attend the bull games (games, not fights) - Course Camarguaises - while there in the almost 2000 year old Roman amphitheatre.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

1. Pont du Gard

2. Pont du Gard

Because it's about what the Romans did for us.

And it's so very beautiful too.

10. Re: Give me your top 2 "must see" Roman sites in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2015, 00:12