We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

SW England
Level Contributor
279 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

At the end of next week we will be driving from Carcassonne to our accommodation - close to St Maximin la Sainte Baume.

I see that you can do the journey in just over 3 hours if you go by motorway. However, although we are prepared to use some motorway, we are happy to spend 5 or 6 hours travelling if that will allow us to take in some decent scenery and places of interest.

So are there a couple of stand out routes or places to include on the journey? For instance, dropping down into Aigues Mortes and then heading back up to Arles.

A week later we will be heading back to Toulouse and may consider a more inland route - but appreciate that the we may not have time to go too far along the slower scenic routes.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Rick

Provence
Level Contributor
810 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

Honestly i would stick on the highway between Carcassone and Aiguemortes.

You should stop in Aiguemorte, lovely walled medieval city.

then head toward Ste Marie de la Mer and to Arles through the small roads.(aiguemorte to arles this way about 1h15 if you dont stop in Les Saintes)

SW England
Level Contributor
279 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

Thank you phidou

Sounds good.

Are you suggesting it is worth the extra few miles drive into Ste Marie de la Mer or to skirt to the north of it? I assume Ste Marie is the same as les Saintes.

Apologies for adding the 's' to Marseille. Had always thought it had that 's' until I saw it on the map

Provence
Level Contributor
810 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

I would say it might be worth a visit. indeed les Saintes is Stes Marie de la mer

Are you booked for the night in Arles ???

And no worries about the S in Marseille. It is actually sort of correct since i believe the English translation of Marseille is Marseilles. A bit silly I agree but....

SW England
Level Contributor
279 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

Thanks again.

No, not staying in Arles. We will be travelling a bit further, a few miles south of St Maximin.

Will be there a week. Looks like a good base for touring - but am wary of being too ambitious. For instance - would like to see Mont Ventoux, but that looks like a very long day trip.

Provence
Level Contributor
810 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

Ok, So i guess you wont have time to stop in Les Saintes if you want to get to St Maximin at a reasonnable time.

As well I wouldnt consider Mont Ventoux as a day trip. To my taste loads of driving involved for not so much. Mont Ventoux is nice but dont think worh such a drive and you'll find plenty to do around St Maximin.

6. Re: Carcassonne to near Marseilles by car. Best one day route.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 10:16