We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

Toronto
Level Contributor
838 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

Is this town too far away as a base for towns in Provence or does it have it's very own sea type of charm? Proximity of good family restaurants? I have posted already about Bonnieux or Vaison as the 2 other options but wishing more about this area...too isolated?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

La Cadiere is an unusual choice as a base...what is drawing you there? It is remote (but pretty) little town. If you want to head back up to the Luberon or to Vaison la Romaine or Avignon...you have a lot of unecessary (in my opinion) driving time ahead of you. The closest large community is Toulon. While it has an adequate old town, it is also a very large French naval base...I would describe it as significantly south of charming.

Again...if you can let me know the reasons that are drawing you to La Cadiere...I might be able to recommend a town or village that might be more "central."

Edited: 04 October 2012, 03:41
Toronto
Level Contributor
838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

The short list and preferred villa rental is about 1 km from there. Some of the group want to get in a bit of the cote as well as provence. The week prior I will be doing a river cruise from of the Saone and Rhone to Arles. If it were me, I would be staying more centrally.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

Where are you sourcing your villa rental inormation?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

You can see the Med from La Cadière but it is a bit far from Bonnieux and Vaison to be practical for visiting that part of Provence. It's 1-1/2 hours from Bonnieux if you don't hit traffic. I've never been to La Cadière but I know it's a very small place. I've driven by it on the autoroute and it looks cute but there are not an abundance of other charming villages nearby. Although you can get to some nice places along the coast such as Cassis, Bandol, Sanary-sur-Mer and further east down the coast Hyères and Bormes-les-Mimosas. And of course, you can also do boat tours of the Calanques. There's plenty of stuff along the med to make La Cadière a nice place to explore the Med but you'll have some driving to do to see the other places on your wish list. I doubt the kids will want to spend 4 or more hours in the car getting to and from places not to mention driving between places you want to visit.

Toronto
Level Contributor
838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

It is a done deal. Sorry to dissapoint. A family member is organizing this and wants to be close to the Med and the Cote. I realize we have a bit of a foot in Provence and a bit of a foot on the Cote. Family has worked with Abercrombie Kent before and this villa is actually really nice. Many sites had villas that were too pricey or too cheap, no AC, no heated pool and many already booked. When you travel with a group you have to compromise. Just glad that my husband and I can see a bit more with our Burgundy Provence river cruise the week prior. We will have fun.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

It's OK, I'm not disappointed. I'm sure if everyone has agreed that this is the villa they want and it's where you want to base then you'll have a great time. Enjoy your vacation. :)

Maine
Level Contributor
672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

Hi, think that you will be really happy in this village. It is close to Cassis, a favorite, and is so beautiful. Then Aix en Provence close by, and just above Aix some Provence towns that you will recognize are closer than you think and then some are among the 'Most beautiful villages in Provence' . I have read that La Cadiere is a pretty village. Read more in TA about Hyeres and the islands.

8. Re: La Cadiere d'Azur(Bandol)as a week long base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:18