We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence for 4 days

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Provence for 4 days

Hi

I am in provence for 4 days starting from 1st nov. I will be staying at Hotel Résidence de la Transhumance, 11 Rue de la Transhumance, 13310 Saint Martin de Crau. Can you please advise me the must to see in these 4 days. I love nature, landscapes, small pretty villages. This is my first visit to provence. I was thinking of Cassis, Arles, Camarague, st remy. We will have a rental car. I am traveling with my wife and two kids - 1 and 11 yr old. What's the weather going to be there ? It's getting chilly here in Belgium. Thanks for your help

Rgds

Finland
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence for 4 days

As it is later autumn already, I would perhaps look mainly for inland places rather than sweeping the coast line.

It now looks like the highest afternoon temps go somewhere between 15 and 20 C, and the nights are rather chilly already. The days are short, it gets dark early. Rains may occur at this time of the year, and they can be occasionally heavy. It is wise to prepare for rain. We have spent time down there in Oct-Nov and the weather has been generally mild.

You could spend one full day (something like 8-9 AM to 9-10 PM) driving down to Cassis first, and if the Route des Cretes is open, drive over those wonderful coastal hills to La Ciotat, which I think is worth a visit for its authentic atmosphere. After that you could perhaps drive up to Aix en Provence and have dinner there, before returning home (in the dark). These three towns + the unique Route des Cretes form a good and easily accessible package east of your accommodation, I think. Aix is just about one hour from your hotel and generally a place to see and feel, even for a full day trip combined with some smaller place around there.

Not sure about the rest, we had a chance to visit Camargue last summer, but skipped it. In case the weather is nice, the nature at Camargue can be a treat. I could also point out the inland place L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, as well as the bigger nearby town, Avignon, especially if the weather requires indoor activities.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence for 4 days

What about saint remy Provence. Heard a lot about the nature?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence for 4 days

We love nature and small villages. We would skip big towns like Marseilles. It seems like Arles, Camarague, Cassis are must sees with some villages in Luberone and Saint Rent region. We like nice drives, thanks for tips for drive around cassis.

As we have a 18 months old kid, we can leave the hotel not before his lunch which is at 11am. In the winter we have short days too. So is it practical to cover Arles and Camarague in one day? Cassis will be one day trip I guess. The other day trip could be Luberone villages.

Is it usually sunny in this part of France. It's cloudy and rainy in Belgium during most part if the year.

Thanks.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence for 4 days

Well it isn't warm here right now. We had some really bad weather over the weekend (major damage sustained throughout the region), including snow. Woke this morning to thick frost on the ground.

I live near Avignon. The forecast for Nov. 1st is rain with a high of 17c/low6c. Nov. 2nd calls for party sunny with a high of 17c/low6c. Nov. 3rd rain with a high of 19c/low10c. Nov. 4th rain with a high of 18c/low11c. Nov. 5th partly cloudy with a high of 16c/low8c. Nov. 6th the sun comes back, high of 15c/low7c.

You never can tell with weather, but that's what is forecasted for the Avignon area.

5. Re: Provence for 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:16