We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

We will be spending about 6 days in Provence late July 2013 and I'm having a tough time deciding where we should base ourselves in our vacation rental.

We want to stay in just 1 place and do daytrips the whole time with a rental car, OR have the option of just hunkering down and enjoying the lovely spot we've chosen to stay at. Our passions are many & varied: food, wine, visiting markets/shopping, history, general sightseeing, enjoying local activities & sights (including lavendar fields), pretty much you name it, we love it! I thought I was settled on St. Remy after much research and reading on these boards, but now wonder if Ch.deP might not be a better choice? At some point I just have to decide and not keep rethinking it!

Sure appreciate all the great & relevant info shared on these boards, SO much more helpful than any websites or books.

Appreciate any input, Thanks!

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
159 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

I was in Provence last summer. St Remy is a very nice city, I have not been in chateauneuf de Pape but I think it is near to visit the many villages of louberon.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

I think St. Remy would be the better choice. It is quite a nice town with a good bit to offer on its own, but is particularly well situated for excursions to Arles, Avignon, Les baux, Gorde, etc. etc.CdeP is more removed from the rest of Provence and a bit too wine oriented ( Did I say that? )

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

"CdeP is more removed from the rest of Provence"

I'm not sure what 'rest of Provence' you are referring to. Chateauneuf du Pape is 10 kms from Orange and 18 kms from Avignon, just to name two.

It is very different from St. Rémy.

Wilsonzoo - it might help if you could tell us what day trips you would like to take - what villages / areas you'd like to see.

What made you choose Chateauneuf as a possible choice? Are you into wine? If so, it is an excellent choice. I am not so much a fan of the overpriced Chateauneuf du Pape wines, but the nearby wines of Violès, Beaumes-de-Venise, Orange, Vacqueyras, etc. are fantastic. There are some excellent restaurants in this region too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

Been to both many times...I would absolutely say St. Remy. Lovely town...great market and very central.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

Personally, I'd choose St Remy.

CdP is much smaller with less choice of restaurants and places to stay. I love the wine and we have been there many, many times, but there is simply far more to do and eat in St Remy.

St Remy is a good central base for getting to Arles, Avignon, Orange, Tarascon (excellent English graffiti in the castle), the Camargue, Uzes (which is where we normally stay), Pont du Gard, Chateuneuf du Pape, Les Baux...

Spokane, Washington
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

You see? You all are completely validating my first instinct, which was to stay in St. Remy! I love it!

While we do love wine, I fear that if we focused so much on the wine aspect by actually staying in the heart of CdP, we might be missing out on all the other wonderful and unique aspects of the surrounding Provence countryside.

I think I've settled on St. Remy, based on all your thoughtful insights. Thank you much!

7. Re: Can't decide: St. Remy or Chateauneuf de Pape as home base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 10:15