We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Town Near Marseille?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Town Near Marseille?

We are 4 adults looking for a quaint beach town to stay for approximately 4 days after a river cruise that ends in Arles. We would like it to have convenient access to Marseille as we'll be flying back to Paris.

We've been to Cinque Terre and are looking for a similar feel. Just need a small beach, small town with some shops, good walking, market and some fun restaurants.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Cassis...

http://cassisfrance.ca/

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Cassis is a lovely little place. Just keep in mind that it may not have much to offer beyond an overnight visit.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Wouldn't the Camargue be a better bet if coming from Arles? Saintes Marie de la Mer, etc.?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Thanks for the replies. Did some research yesterday and Cassis did seem like our best bet. When you say much not to offer beyond 1 night, if all we're looking to do is have a few relaxing days at the beach, wander around, check out some shops/markets, eat dinner and drink some wine...would Cassis fit the bill?

I also looked at Saintes Marie de la Mer but it looked less "quaint" and rather flat. Also didn't see much in terms of restaurants/shops on the waterfront (like the harbor in Cassis). Is that correct?

Again thanks for your input.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
955 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

There are many resort towns between Marseille and Toulon that will fit your needs with Cassis being the closest to Marseille. I love Cassis, but my personal favorite is Sanary-sur-Mer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Cassis over Saintes Marie for sure. Cassis is charming, Saintes Marie is not. Sanary-sur-Mer is lovely as well...I would say Cassis is more "quaint."

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Personally I would not stay in Cassis more than one night.

Will you have a car? Going west from Marseille along the coast are some charming little villages Carray la Rouet being one.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

We will not have a car. Can you tell me why you wouldn't stay in Cassis more than a night? Again, we're just looking to relax in the sun after almost 2 weeks of sight seeing. My experience Italy was thatnI wished I'd taken more time in Cinque Terre at the end of my trip to unwind and enjoy. Appreciate the input.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

Cassis is a perfect place to unwind. It is small...probably 8,000 population but there are dozens of restaurants an plenty of hotels to choose from.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Town Near Marseille?

I suggested Saintes Marie on the grounds that it's easier to get to from Arles. Neither it nor Cassis has good onward transport links. This said, Cassis has a fair few things going for it once you're there -- you can do a calanques boat trip or a walk/ hike if you are feeling more energetic http://bit.ly/wNhBlg

Cassis wines are very fine, and there are some vineyards you can get to on foot, as the appellation is a small one http://bit.ly/IQr0Ng The town itself is nice to explore and has a twice-weekly street market. http://bit.ly/Hw5QPs There's also a beach right in the centre.