We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

We are having a really hard time deciding where to stay in Provence. We'd like to stay somewhere that's not too far of a train ride from Paris, and is a good town for exploring the rest of the region. We're looking for a town that has a selection of cafes and vegetable markets. We'll also have a rental car so parking is a concern. We'd prefer to rent an apartment instead of a staying in a hotel.

We enjoy galleries. art museums, cooking, eating out, anything food-related wine, walking. There are so many options that we're really having a hard time deciding. I was originally leaning towards Aix, but really uncertain now.

Thanks so much!

NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

We had a wonderful 10 night trip in May. We took the TGV from CDG to Avignon and stayed for 4 nights in St Remy, 5 nights in Bonnieaux and the last night in Avignon. I think St Remy is perfectly located close to the train and all the major sites on the west side of Provence. Great restaurants in town and close by. Close to tgv, Aix. Arles and Avignon. Cute little town with bakery, cheese shop and wine stores. Not as charming as Loumarin or Bonnieaux.

NC
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

We loved Arles! It was definitely a little bigger than some of the smaller towns we visited, but it had plenty of restaurants and cafes and shops and was the perfect homebase for exploring the region. We found an apartment on AirBNB that was in the heart of Arles. We were there in early April, and it seems like the town might get mobbed with tourists in the summer.

We went to the Wednesday farmer's and flea market in Arles to stock up on some provisions. We also made sure to spend one morning exploring the Roman ruins in town. We ate dinner out two nights and cooked the other two nights at the apartment.

Roussillon was our favorite of the small towns that we visited, but I'm not sure we'd want to stay overnight . It was charming, but I'm not sure there's enough to do for us to stay for a few days. It really depends what you like.

Another option I'd recommend is Isle-sur-la-sorgue. We enjoyed an afternoon there, and it's a lovely town!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

Actually, St-Rémy is not close to the train--that would be Avignon.

Provence
Level Contributor
806 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

From what you describe, you want to stay in St Remy; Lively little village, lots of restaurants to choose from, bar, shops, activities... And plenty of accomodation to choose from Plus the wednesday morning market which is a must.

I talk about St Remy and around on my blog

saintremydeprovencetourism.blogspot.fr/

Hope that will help

25. Re: Agonizing over where to stay: Avignon, Aix, St. Remy, etc ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:21