We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

Hi

we are an Australian family who will be travelling this year and after two weeks in Paris will be in Provence for 4 weeks before heading to Italy.

We love to sink into a culture and travel slowly. Our children will be stimulated by living within France and do not need theme park type places to visit.

Just a beach, some woods?, a park, icecream etc.

So, I have been reading the forums as we have never visited this area of France before and have found lovely houses to rent in Roussillon and St Remy and Avignon.

Also near the beach Antibes or Villefranche seem to be the places recommended to families.

What do you think?

Another beach place that has been recommended (not in Provence though) is Montelivet, Medoc. Anyone been?

I am open to all suggestions such as time in each place, where, opinions on anything really.

Thanks

ETA: we will catch the train from Paris to Avignon and hire a car from there, although may get rid of it when we hit the coast.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 02:41
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

You might want to consider spending two or three weeks in Western Provence, followed by one or two weeks somehwere in, or near the Rivrera/ Cote d'Azur.

Personally, I would urge you to seriously consider somewhere near St. Remy as a base in Western Provence, since it will provide you with relatively easy acess to incredible historial sites, wonderful beaches ( down in the Camargue ), as well as great places to hike, and just enjoy the enviroment.

We have spent the month of September in the area, every year since '95 - fabulous history, wonderful things to see and do, great food and wine, what's not to love ...

You can ditch your car when you get to the Riviera, but you will NEEd it while you are in Provence, since most places are not easily visited via public transportation.

Please get the Michelin Green Guide for Provence, and the one for the French Riviera / Cote d'Azur. You will find these Guides invaluable in creating lists of things to see and do. The Guides are espaeially wonderful when used in combination with the Michelin maps in the Local series, since all sites have map referal information in the Guides, which makes it alot easier to get to the sites

Edited: 15 January 2013, 03:40
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

I like AG's suggestion that you split your visit between Western Provence/countryside and a beach community on Code d'Azur. I also like the suggestion that you purchase a map (gives a real good perspective of the area and distances involved between points of travel) and Michelin Green Guide(s) of the regions you hope to visit.

A base in Roussillon or St Remy would be fine, although Roussillon is much more charming then St Remy. Base in Avignon would not be great, since it will be difficult and trafficy driving in and out of Avignon on day trips with all of the commerce around.

With small kids, your best bet is renting gites/country homes, so that there is a place to stretch for you and roam for the kids, and so that you can prepare some of the meals.

Four weeks is a nice chunk of time! You will not have a problem planning a fantastic holiday.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

When will you be travelling?

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

Thanks to you all. We are travelling in September, arrive 31 August in fact.

So between St Remy and Rousillon? We are looking at houses/gites in both areas, not hotels.

Thanks for the map information, I will buy one this week and pore over it as I am unfamiliar with this area.

C

5. Re: Provence for 4 weeks with small children; afew Qs...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:16