We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon? ”

today, 8:40

We will be based in Villefranche and planning a 3 day inland tour with a car (which we will pick up in Nice on Day 1). I've been looking on the internet and YouTube - but would like some comment about how "white-knuckle" the drive through the Gorges du Verdon really is. For example - it appears there are few (if any?) guard rails? Are there lay-bys where the driver can get out and have a look at the scenery? Are the roads 2-way, or do you ahve to pull over to let on-coming traffic come through? (we got caught with this one in another part of southern France). Would week days be better than weekends (this will be in early June). I'd appreciate some comments. Thinking at this stage of driving from Nice to Aix for the first overnigth stop.

Mentioned in this post
Gorges du Verdon
Gorges du Verdon
1,418 Reviews
Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France
France
France
Europe
L'Art en Chemin
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Day Trips
Maitre Savonitto
Sightseeing Tours
Essex
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

m.youtube.com/#/watch…

m.youtube.com/watch…

m.youtube.com/watch…

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

If you have to ask, it's probably scary. It sure was for me! I don't like heights at all, or narrow, windy roads.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

It is mostly two-lane road, although not very wide. There are many pull-outs. Often there are no guard rails between the road and the canyon.

It is not a dangerous road, provided you drive sensibly and slow down for the curves.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

The Gorges du Verdon is a a totally awesome drive - but , yes. you have to be careful.

IMHO, I urge you to do it - As sydneynick said - you just have to "drive sensibly and slow down on the curves .... "

Trust me, if you do the drive - You will talk about the Gorges du Verdon for decades ...

Mentioned in this post
Gorges du Verdon
Gorges du Verdon
1,418 Reviews
Derry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

I drove from Frejus on a day trip to the Gorge de Verdon. I was apprehensive as this was my first time driving abroad and I was with my two young children. Yes it requires a lot of concentration but its fine, although I do have photo of me at the top of it and my eyes are like a rabbit in the headlights! Well worth it though and I'm sorry in hindsight that I didn't veer off into the hillside villages we drove past on the way up which looked amazing. I do remember it was two way traffic on the way up but think it reduced to one way through the tunnels. Good luck and enjoy! Stop off for a drink at the top there is a hotel that has a veranda built out onto the gorge it's a great way to savour it.

Mentioned in this post
Frejus
Frejus
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

To give you an idea, there are a few photos towards the bottom of this page: www.nickbooth.id.au/France08/Moustiers.html

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

From my experience driving on "cliffy" roads in France, you have to be very careful of the other drivers - and bikes. Many of the drivers are tourists themselves and are not familiar with driving on narrow mountain roads and they tend to veer into your lane to try to keep away from falling off the cliff - so to speak. The road is narrow enough, so this is a dangerous practice. Also, some people do this because they are driving a rental car and they are not really familiar with the car or it's place/space in the lane.

Also, some folks who actually live in these areas tend to drive these roads like a high speed race care driver, passing the tourists when it most certainly is not safe. You will also see delivery trucks and lunatic caravan drivers attempt many of these roads. On many sections, these two vehicles do not have enough space to meet forcing one of them (and often those behind them) to stop and back up - try that one on some of these sections... Done it too many times, not nice.

Lastly, be aware that the hairpin curves are often blind. You have to be aware that there might well be a biker just around that hairpin curve. Be very careful.

Needless to say, the driver will likely see nothing of the scenery unless you stop at a pull-off. He/she will be focusing totally on the road.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 09:30
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

Good point about the tourist drivers. I don't think it's just 'many' but most - car numbers triple in the south in summer and probably it's a much greater proportion on the Gorges. By definition tourists havn't a clue where they are going., are rubbernecking, discussing the fabulous view, driving unfamiliar cars.... go figure......... For the nervous there are bus tours in mini-buses, but not in big coaches- too big for the roads.

Ed

Edited: 11 February 2013, 10:03
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
976 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

I was going to post a similar thread about cycling the Gorges du Verdon..

We are coming to Provence at the end of May with our bikes and tent etc.

We are starting in Aix en provence the heading North West towards the villages to the East of Avignon.. We then plan to cycle to the Gorges du Verdon.. Is this advisable and are there places to camp? Is there a route we should take or avoid all together? We then plan to head down to the coast before flying out of Nice..

Any information on this route and if the Gorges du Verdon is doable would be most welcome..

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Gorges du Verdon
Gorges du Verdon
1,418 Reviews
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How scarey driving Gorges du Verdon?

Do not even *think* of trying to cycle along the road around the Gorges du Verdon. Read post #7 about the problems for people in cars, then think what it would be like on a bike.

Mentioned in this post
Gorges du Verdon
Gorges du Verdon
1,418 Reviews