We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August/September or September/October

Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
August/September or September/October

Trying to determine the best time to visit Provence. Will last 2 weeks in Sept and early Oct be a little too late In terms of quiet and businesses closing and also days getting shorter.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August/September or September/October

You'll be fine in September and October, with the added bonus of NOT dealing with the teeming hordes of tourists you'll find there in August.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August/September or September/October

I hve been to Provence in mid to late September - it is wonderful at that time. As Sunshine says, you'll miss the crowds of summer but everything is still open -roads are not crowded, it's still warm. It was one of my favorite trips

Provence
Level Contributor
793 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August/September or September/October

Days are indeed getting shorter, that's the down side and the weather might not be as warm as late August meaning you might not be able to dine outside.

Other than that the season is not over for sure (most of business will remain open until New Year when some might close in November).

end of sept early oct is still a nice period where you'll be able to enjoy all of Provence.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August/September or September/October

September / October is my favourite time of the year to visit Provence.

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August/September or September/October

We have spent the entire month of September in Provence, every year since 1995 - and, today, it's only another 190 days until we're back in the place that we think of as "Heaven on Earth."

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August/September or September/October

We leave the south of France in early July and don't return until mid-September; summer is spent in SE UK doing the gardening and catching up with friends and relatives.

July & August are very hot and extremely crowded in many places; September and October are usually lovely months. All shops, restaurants etc that I know of are open, just not under so much pressure. It's been rare not to eat outside for the first few weeks after we get back, although I do recommend a shawl, as I sometimes find it useful towards the end of a leisurely meal outdoors at that time.

Where were you thinking of visiting?

Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August/September or September/October

Many thanks, that is comforting to hear .

gardengirlie..... I am still researching but so far it looks like everywhere in Luberon and then over to the Dentelles for a 7 day self guided walk then over to Carsconne then TGV to Paris to go home.

Any suggestions are greatfully received.

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August/September or September/October

Annette_8,

Please keep in mind that many hiking trails in Provence are closed, starting at various times in September, because of concerns regarding forest fires. The decisions to close access to the trails are made on a regular / weekly schedule, and the signs are placed at the starting points of the trails, and in the parking areas for the trails that have been closed.

I urge you to have alternative plans for the days that you are planning to hike while you are in Provence this year.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 01:05
Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August/September or September/October

Thanks for that AlpillesGal

10. Re: August/September or September/October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:16