We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence itinerary

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Provence itinerary

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting Provence this September. I have been reading tripadvisor and Michelin green guide and have planned a tentative itinerary beginning the Mon 23 September. We are coming from Annecy and Lyon, and heading to San Sebastion for a week after Provence. I was wondering if anyone could comment on this itinerary as we have not been to Provence before.

1. Avignon -catch evening train from Lyon

2. St-Remy -Avignon, hire car 4 pm

3. St-Remy -am St-Remy market ,pm Pont du Gard/Uzes

4. St-Remy -Les Baux/ Aix?

5. L'Isle -Gordes/Rousillon

6. L'Isle -Lourmarin/other?

7. Arles -L'Isle-antiques market am/Arles pm

8. Arles - Arles

9. Bordeaux -Camargue, return car then train Nimes-Bordeaux (Ibis)

10. Train/bus San Sebastion

Thank you for any assistance.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence itinerary

Are you planning on overnighting in these places (except Bordeaux) or are these day trips from a base?

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence itinerary

We are planning over-nights as follows :

1. Avignon - as we will arrive in the evening, and may as well see town before we hire car next afternoon.

2 ,3, 4 - St Remy

5, 6 -L'Isle (wanted to be there for market Sunday market)

7, 8 -Arles

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence itinerary

It's only 25 kms from Avignon to St Remy....the same 25 kms from Avignon to L'Isle sur la Sorgue. I would pick one base and do day trips from there. That way you don't have to pack up and move every few days and you won't have to leave your luggage and other items in your car between stops.

With 7 days you could do a vacation rental (house, villa or apartment) which gives you WAY more options. I like L'isle sur la Sorgue as a base.

You will need to go out to the TGV station west of Avignon to get your rental car.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 22:52
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence itinerary

Like datthecoase, we urge you to seriously consider establishing a single base for your stay in Provence. Personally, while we love visiting L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, we did not find it to be a really well-centered base for exploring the entire region.

Our base for the month of September, every year since 1995, is a lovely village near St. Remy. We find it to be a great base because it has easy access to virtually all of the places that you want to visit - either via just local roads, or via a combination of local roads and the Autoroute-du-Soleil.

Maine
Level Contributor
710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provence itinerary

Hi there, Your itinerary sounds well planned out, well thought out. You have researched Tripadvisor and a guide on Provence and your itinerary sounds great! Don't bother to ask for critiques, make your reservations -and have a great time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provence itinerary

Melbourne61....Alpillesgal and I both love Provence. Each of us has just found our personal slices of heaven that are only 50 kms from one another! :-)

After 30+ years of travelling to Provence and having lived on the Cote d'Azur, I have learned that for my own personal style of travel, which is:

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/provence/

....that renting a house and basing myself in one place well located for day trips works for me.

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provence itinerary

Thank you very much for all of your replies! I will have one last look on the week-end and then make the bookings.

Thank you Ivfr8 for encouraging me to back my own decisions. We are really looking forward to seeing Provence.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provence itinerary

I loved your postcard - Saturday at the Apt market. We are planning a week's stay in Lourmarin and, unfortunately, arriving on Friday too late for the market there. I was considering going to the Saturday market in Apt as our first outing in Provence. After reading your postcard I am really looking forward to it.

Any current suggestions?

Merci!

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provence itinerary

Your itinerary sounds fine but I am a bit dubious about day 3 st Re

my Market will probably take you all morning.

Drive to Pont du Gard about 45mn, visit of the pont du gard is pending wether or not you're stopping at their stunning museum... So you might be a bit exhausted to go to Uzes (expect approx 1hrs drive back to St Remy).

For idea about what to do in Saint Remy, you can check this blog

saintremydeprovencetourism.blogspot.fr/

+

http://theprovencepost.blogspot.fr/

Plenty of usefull ideas.

Hope this will help

Philippe

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provence itinerary

Melbourne61 - I'm really interested in your post since I'm organising almost the same but from 26 September. I'm in Sydney by the way. I'm agonising over one place to stay as a base so I'm very interested in all the advice. I've read a lot of really helpful advice here on TA. It's a great resource and the help everyone provides is fantastic. I'm off to read the rest of the thread to see if I can finally make up my mind. I'm stuck between Aix-en-Provence (which really isn't that central), St Remy and L'Isle Sur La Sorgue. I wanted somewhere that didn't totally close down at night. I'm being very Libran at not being able to make up my mind. :)