We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Takoma Park, MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

We will be staying near Maussane-les-Alpilles for one week in June. It's my daughters' first time in Europe and I'd like for them to see the Mediterranean. Our family equally loves history and nature (often we vacation in National Parks). I had thought that one one day we could drive to Cassis and take the boat trip to Les Calanques, but now I'm wondering if perhaps a drive to Narbonne and then Carcassonne might serve a similar purpose. Don't think we can possibly do both, given our other priorities for the week. I love this forum - anyone want to share your thoughts on the merits of these two choices? (and, yes, I know Carcassonne can be overrun with tourists, but it seems like such a fascinating site, and, well, we'll be tourists...)

Thanks - and thanks for all the info I've already quietly gleaned from your discussions!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

: Maussane to Carcassonne is a 3- hour drive - non stop.

I don't think it would be a very enjoyable day-trip.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Not only would it be a very long drive to Carcassonne and back, but there would not be a view of the Mediterranean.

Takoma Park, MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Thanks Pvoyageuse and railtraveller65! That's a bit longer drive than I was thinking!

Maybe we should loop Aigues-Mortes into the day we go to Nimes and save Carcassonne for ANOTHER trip (thinking optimistically)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,824 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Yes, do the Aigues Mortes and the Camargue and perhaps a visit to Saintes-Maires-de-la-Mer for the seaside.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Instead of trying to visit Nimes and Aigues-Mortes on the same day, I urge you to seriously consider a day that combines a visit to Arles with a visit to Aigues-Mortes.

Takoma Park, MD
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Thanks, all! I take a look at our itinerary, AlpillesGal - we may be able to do that, and thanks for the tip!

Salles d'Aude...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Here's a great article that might help - personally if you like history I would go for Narbonne/Carca and the sea is aonly 20 minutes from Narbonne, but it's a bit of a drive from Maussanne.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/f…

Bon voyage from villalanguedoc.co.uk

Edited: 14 May 2013, 16:34
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

Given where you are staying head into the Camargue to Aigues Mortes - not as spectacular as Carcassonne but still impressive.

Head on from there to Grau du Roi and follow sign posts to les Espiguette - one of the longest sandy beaches in the area. Head for the car park behind the dunes (just keep following the roads).

A work of warning - the beach and car park are miles long with an official naturist beach right at the end of the beach which is clearly marked. Because of the length of the beach you will not know it is there unless you go looking for it.

9. Re: Les Calanques/Cassis or Carcassonne/Narbonne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:15