We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

Goin-Coastal613
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

Girlfriend and myself (25 / 26) are staying for ~ 1 week in Provence area. We are looking to find some good value as opposed to glamour. We enjoy:

- Nice Wine

- Good Food

- Ocean

- Mix of quiet and busy

- Culture

I speak French quite fluently. I know this is somewhat vague, but are there any "hidden gems" in the Provence region that stick out? Our budget is ~$300 per day including accommodation. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

Quite vague.

When are you travelling?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

I always recommend Cassis. It's very picturesque and by the sea.

Goin-Coastal613
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

We are going to be there near the end of July - and thanks, I'll check out Cassis!

Edited: 28 May 2013, 01:58
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

I would also recommend Cassis. From near Hyeres, there is also the island of Porcquerolles.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

At this extremely late date, you are faced with where you might find space available as opposed to where you actually want to stay. You are trying to find accomodations in peak season at the last minute.

Cassis is a lovely spot, but it is tiny and incredibly popular. It only has about 7,000 residents.

You could look for something there, but I am sure that most of the best accomodations have been booked up months and months ago.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,424 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

Two 25/26 year olds will be done with Cassis in half a day, an overnight. I just do not see you being happy there for a week. How about basing in Nice and doing day trips via train or bus?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

Juan le Pins would work as well...if you can find something there.

Goin-Coastal613
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

As it turns out, my brother will be in Aix-En-Provence during our stay, so it seems Nice is a bit far to base from. We are looking at Marseille / Cassis (although as mentioned, limited selection at this point).

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

I love both places, but I found Cassis to be more picturesque, it can be busy, but still a nice place to relax and enjoy good food, and the views are spectacular.

Marseilles has a lot of things to see, but it is a more metropolitan feel as it's a bigger city.

10. Re: Visiting South of France (Provence Area) - What to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 07:16