We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Hello all,

My wife and I are travelling in Provence for a week in early July (7th-14th), following a wedding in Bordeaux. We will have a car, but am open to buses for day-trips if parking could be an issue. Here is what I have planned so far:

July 7 - Arrive L'Isle Sur La Sorgue in the evening - we realize that we will miss the market, but that is OK.

July 8 - Day trip to Avignon - Is driving the best option?

July 9 - Open day - Day trip thoughts - St Remy De Provence (is Tuesday a Market day?), Others?

July 10 - Early morning drive to Senanque Abbey, staying in Cheval Blanc, possible truffle-hunt tour at Les Pastras at 6pm

July 11 - Staying in Cheval Blanc - Open day - day trip thoughts?

July 12 - Drive to Villefranche sur Mer (early) - Villa Ephrussi

July 13 - Villefranche sur Mer - beach / relax day

July 14 - Drive to Nice for afternoon departure

Any advice is always welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Andy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Driving from Isle-sur-la-sorgue to Avignon is quite feasible and probably your best option. There are parking lots that surround the exterior of the walls of the Old City and they fill up pretty quickly, but you should be able to find parking in one of them. Leave the car there, and proceed on foot to explore.

St. Remy, Gordes, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas & Vacqueras, and a host of other villages, as well as Arles and Orange, are reachable as day trips from Isle-sur-la-sorgue, and you can "do" more than one in a single day. Do you want to do some wine-tasting, explore Roman ruins, or just see picturesque villages and countryside? Pull out a Michelin green guide and map, and plot what suits your interests.

New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Thanks! I have the Michelin Green guide, so will definitely do some work regarding day trips.

We are going to be tasting a lot of wine in Bordeaux before the wedding weekend, but am always up for something that is a "can't miss" winery. Other than that, we seen tons of ruins in our travels through Italy, Spain and elsewhere, so that is not a must-do. Love exploring small picturesque towns/villages. Love tasting local cuisines and wines.

Thanks again!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Parking in Avignon in July will be absolute hell. Due to the festival, most roads in and immediately around the center of town will be blocked certain times of the day/night, closed completely or turned into one way streets. I would think long and hard before driving into the mess.

New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Thank you for the advice re: the festival. Do the festival events take place all day - is avoiding Avignon altogether during the festival a suggested idea? I have been to Avignon before, my wife has not, but I would not say that we are tied to it.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

I am not trying to discourage you from visiting Avignon. I think it is just important to understand exactly how the festival impacts traffic, tourism, hotels, restaurants, movement in general. Many people love this kind of 'stuff.' I am not one of them. I don't like heavy traffic, very difficult parking problems and crowds of people packed inch to inch, restaurants over packed and moods rather edgy. My daughter loves it ! Course, she has friends who live in the city, so she doesn't have to deal with traffic.

The festival activities are pretty much day and night.

Canada
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Hi,

Why are you changing from Isle sur la Sorgues to Cheval Blanc base? Roads to/from Avignon are really busy in July and on that line Cavaillon, Cheval Blanc. You can spend a very long time in traffic there. Why not just staying in one place either St Remy or Gordes for example?

Also driving from VilleFranche to Nice, unless do you mean to Nice airport? Because Villefranche is very close to Nice and very easy to get by bus or train. Driving in Nice (city) during high season can be stressful. July 14 is a big holliday. It is a shame you will miss fireworks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

The market in St-Rémy is on Wednesdays.

Could you really be doing a truffle hunt in July?

8. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 December 2015, 13:55
New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Thank you, knowing that is on Wednesday, maybe we will go to St. Remy that day. Any thoughts on the market?

The truffle hunt is through www.lespastras.com, seems that the seasons are May-Sept and Jan-March.

New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - Thoughts and Advice

Thank you very much Diz. I was originally thinking of going to Senanque Abbey, and just looking at a map now Gordes on the same day - going from L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue to Cheval Blanc. But if it makes more sense to do that from Cheval Blanc and see some other areas from L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, we are flexible. I will look into those other small villages you mentioned.

What is the general opinion on market days? The food vendors really entice me, but if I can get great meats and cheeses in the towns on non-market days, I am OK with that too.