We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

usa
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

Hello,

We are flying into Marseille airport and renting a car in Provence. At the end of our stay in Provence, we will drop off the rental car take a train to Paris.

We have two scenarios for renting a car in Provence:

1. When our flight lands in Marseille, we rent a car at the Marseille airport and drive to our inn. At the end of our stay, we drive back to Marseille airport (1 hour from our inn), drop off the car, take the shuttle bus to Aix en Provence TGV and take the train to Paris.

2. After our flight lands in Marseille, we travel to Avignon TGV and rent a car at the TGV station. At the end of our stay, we drive to Avignon TGV (10 minutes from our inn), drop off the car and take the Avignon train to Paris.

Question--how do we get to Avignon TGV from Marseille airport after our flight lands? Bus? Train? What are the costs for this transportation?

Also, I was considering renting the car at Marseille airport and dropping off at Avignon TGV, but it costs a lot more to drop off the car at a different location. Thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Tour Azur
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Tuk Tuk Marseille
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

What car rental company is telling you there will be an extra fee for dropping the car off in a different location? I have never paid an extra fee. And I've done numerous Marseille - Avignon trips.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

Drop fees in France are rare. Get a quote from another provider or contact auteurope.com.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

I agree with the above; this isn't a charge we've ever met.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

Correction:

www.autoeurope.com

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

Well, I don't know when posters 1-3 rented but we were faced with substantial drop fees if we wanted to pick up in Nice and drop off at Aix TGV. They were substantial enough that it was significantly cheaper to rent a car for a week in Nice, drop the car off, take a train to Aix and rent another car. I used AutoEurope to rent and they told me that drop fees were common and substantial.

We were not charged drop fees to pick up at NCE and drop off downtown. It may be that therre are no drop fees between Marignane and Aix TGV because they are close to each other but my advice is check with car rental companies. The information you are getting here may not be accurate. You will get good information from AutoEurope who will also find you the best price.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

1. If you want to take the train from Marseille airport to Avignon, simply take the train. Your departure point will be Vitrolles Aéroport Marseille. The train takes about one hour, the fare is usually under 20€.

www.voyages-sncf.com

2. Hertz and Avis typically charge a drop off fee for one way rentals within France. Sixt, Europcar, or Citer typically do not change anything.

7. Re: Car pick-up/drop-off & trains in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:18