We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

As part of my research for a trip to Provence next May, I came across a website called Foodtourist.com. Since I always research restaurants as part of my trip planning, this site, on the surface, looks very promising. I was wondering, however, if anyone has had experience with this site? How accurate and reliable are the reviews? Is it truly independent or is there a corporate/restaurant organization sponsor hidden somewhere?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

I had a look at this site relative to a place I know i.e. Antibes. Seems to me like a kind of Food Google - it pulled up a selection of unrelated food snippets that mentioned Antibes. On the first page four items related to Restaurant du Bacon which is probably the most expensive restaurant in Antibes. I'm not sure what that tells me. All in all I didn't see anything that would add to my sum total of knowledge of where to or what to eat in Antibes compared to say Trip Advisor or any of the many apps available.

Personally my recommendation for research as to getting the best out of the South of France is just stroll down the main restaurant street(s), smell the aromas, study the blackboard menus outside and the patrons, look at the plates in outdoor places - plenty of fun and you can't go wrong.

Ed

Cheval-Blanc, France
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

Agree with you entirely WB.

For western Provence it's all the usual suspects and one of the reviews I read was out of date, change of patron. It's a bit like some of the recommendations made on T/A from folk who haven't visited for a few years.

Bon ap

W

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

"one of the reviews I read was out of date, change of patron. "

Yep, I noticed that too. I also noticed that most of the reviews of places in the Vaucluse were from years ago. At least two of the restaurants on the list have taken a serious down turn in recent years. There are also some recent newcomers to the area that deserve mention, IMO, but if you are only here occasionally then I guess you wouldn't know about them.

Perhaps it is just me, but if you are going to go to the trouble of setting up these types of sites, you need to be able to keep them current or they are simply not useful.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

Thanks for your responses. I do read trip reports on TA for ideas and have found these spot-on for hotels and activities. However, I've generally not found the comments on restaurants in the trip reports very satisfying. I've had better success with certain blogs/websites that specialize in food and restaurants for the locale I'm visiting. Are there any blogs or websites that you would recommend with current information on Provence and the Riviera?

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

While it's a bit heavy, you may want to consider just bringing the current Guide Michelin for France.

6. Re: What's the scoop on Foodtourist.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:17