We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Provence

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Provence

My husband and three year old son are travelling to France Aug. 30 - Sept. 7. On Sept. 2 we will be taking a train from Paris to Avignon for 5 nights (until Sept. 7). Where would you suggest we stay for the duration of our stay - we are open to renting a car and driving a short distance to a nearby town unless Avignon is central and worth making that a home base.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Provence

Avignon is a nice place for a base. I would strongly recommend renting a car though, as there are quite a few places to visit.

Cassis - Calanques

Nimes - Pont de Gard

Arles

Les Baux de Provence

Palais du Papes

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Provence

You will definitely want a car. I would look into renting an apartment or small house or finding a nice B&B in or near St-Rémy or somewhere in les alpilles. It's nice to have a home base in a region if you're going to be there for a few days. There are countless things to do in the area:

St-Rémy (Wednesday market)

Maussane-les-Alpilles (amazing olive mill and very pretty little town with a Thursday market)

Les Baux

Uzès

Pont du Gard

The Camargue (especially Aigues-Mortes)

Arles (great Roman ruins, loads of Van Gogh history)

Avignon itself , including he Palais DES Papes

Lubéron villages (a good day trip)

Suzanne's geography is a bit off, as Cassis is nowhere near Avignon. If you want to do the Côte d'Azur, that's another story altogether.

Enjoy!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Provence

Yep....close to a 2 hour drive from Avignon to Cassis. So, a long day trip.

I like the Luberon, so I would suggest L'Isle sur la Sorgue as a base. L'Isle sur la Sorgue is right on the edge of the Luberon.

And yes, a car is highly recommended.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Provence

I wouldn't say that my geography is a bit off, but we are used to day trips that involve driving for a few hours here in Alberta ;) I just mentioned it in case the OP is ok with that too, and they want to spend a day in a beach town as well.

When we went, our base was Cassis and we drove and spent a day in Nimes touring around Pont de Gard and we never minded the drive.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Provence

I am in total agreement with StCirq regarding where to establish your base, and places to see and things to do.

We have based ourselves in Maussane-les-Alpilles every September since 1995 ( only another another 50 days until we're back ) needless to say, we can't wait. Maussane (which sits just beloe les Baux) is only about a 15-20 minute drive from St. Remy - and we find it to be a wonderful base for exploring the entire region

6. Re: Where to stay in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 11:05
7. Re: Where to stay in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19