We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

We will b e driving in the south of France and through Provence. Will our GPS work? Do we need to purchase a special AP?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,967 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

Golly!

You will need to look at the instructions and T's & C's of your particular set-up...

As you have not even said what brand of GPS you own, who can answer??

Likely you will need to download maps etc for France/Provence

Whether you need to purchase these or not, who can say??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

A GPS unit knows exactly where it is, anywhere in the world. For this information to be useful, the GPS has to be loaded with a map covering the area concerned.

It is unlikely that a GPS sold in the USA would be loaded with maps of France. Go to the web site of your unit's manufacturer, and there will almost certainly be a way of obtaining a map covering France.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

You need to make sure that your GPS has France maps on it. Once maps are loaded, yes, it will work in the South of France/Provence.

However, please be aware that GPS is not an intelligent being and you need to be/have "hands on" type of a navigator also armed with good paper maps to confirm the route and, at times, override the directions the GPS is giving you. Example: GPS will calculate the shortest and/or fastest possible route, which may include an unpaved road or even a direction to enter a wrong way on a one-way road. You need to watch out for this "irresponsible" guidance. :) So, before you leave on your day trips, study a map and make sure that you know where you are going. If you are directed toward a way-too-small road, ignore the command and nine times out of 10 the GPS will recalculate a different route.

We have been using GPS since 2008: three times in France now, Italy, England, Scotland, Wales, and throughout the US. We just used it throughout Provence, Burgundy and Alsace last month. It can be a marriage saver. :) But, it also has its limitations. Good luck!!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

Provence is part of the south of France, actually. Allow me to recommend that you invest in a copy of the paper Michelin map for Provence, an invaluable tool for planning and then traveling.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,669 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

I do my planning using online maps these days. Once I am there, I just use my GPS. As long as you are experienced with how to use a GPS, you should be able to understand its kinks and quirks so you won't just follow everything it says blindly. You could elect to have a paper map for back-up.

The most important thing is to have an updated map of France. You should buy one (available online via download these days) from your GPS manufacturer. Note that these maps might cost quite a bit of money though so you might even consider buying a newer unit instead that has pre-loaded European maps.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

If you are really intend to spend any time exploring the region I urge you to get the Michelin Green Guide for Provence, AND the Michelin maps:

#245 - Provence, Cote d'Azur ( more general info )

# 340 - (Local) -Bouches-du-Rhone, Var

# 332 - (Local) - Drome, Vaucluse

Personally, as you can probably tell, I don't like ( or trust ) the GPS voice telling me where to go . . .

Provence is so beautiful, that even if you end up on the wrong road, you will end up heading toward a significant historical and / or beautiful destination.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

I have a Garmin Nuvi, purchased in the USA, which came loaded with Europe maps. It's about 7 years old, and I think I have heard that now you can't buy them already loaded. Not sure about that, though. It has served us well during a few trips to France although I imagine it is becoming out of date. Rather than update it, I think we will just rent cars with factory-built GPSes; when we bought the Garmin, I don't think as many rentals came equipped with them as there are now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

No guarantees you get the GPS you request. We went through 5 cars the last time before they found one with a functioning GPS and even That had a serious flaw. It was MUTE. Luckily we bring our own hand held as a backup.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,033 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

I'm with A-Gal....no GPS for me. Who cares if you get lost? Not that I often do any more...but I really don't care, we might discover a new route or better still a new village or a site....or even just a great foto op.

I think that I am one of the "lucky ones" in that I am able to very quickly downshift into Provencal pace. I can drop my North American business "lifestyle" where I am on and off 70 or 80 flights a year etc, etc....right away. So, I am rarely in a hurry...I don't care if I am stuck behind a tractor....I am in Provence!

My "go-to" solution to straying off-track or even feeling like I am lost is to stop for a glass of rose' (and likely some pate' or olives) haul out my "beat to death" Michelin Green Guide and lazily get back into the fray.....

10. Re: Will my GPS work in Provence and in the south of France?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 10:34