We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

Seattle
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

My husband and I will be visiting Provence in October. We plan on taking a train from Paris to Provence and staying for 5 nights and flying out of Marseille. I would love some recommendations on what area to stay: 2 nights in one area and 3 nights in another area. We will have a car rental. Also, any great charming hotel/bed and breakfast recommendations?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

Take the TGV from Paris to Avignon. I like L'Isle sur la Sorgue as a base. It's great to explore the Luberon from.

La Maison Poynder is a lovely little B&B there.

http://lamaisonpoynder.com/

For your second base, Maussane les Alpilles is great to explore Western Provence from.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
New York
Level Contributor
598 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

If you search on "base" and "where to stay" within the provence forum you will find many recent posts on this topic that will provide an excellent place to start your research. You can then follow up with more specific questions. That s what I did and it was really informative as well as fun reading.

Another useful search would be "itinerary" to get a feel,for the things to see/ do. In these posts you will get people's initial,thoughts and the DEs comments.

Happy reading!

Seattle
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

Thanks so much!

I will search the rest of the rest of the forum for recent posts.

Also, thanks for the b&b recommendation and the train.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

In order to make any sort of really valid recommendations as to where to base yourselves, we really need to have a better understanding about what you want to see and do - ie. Roman ruins, Medieval sites, lots of good restaurants, etc ...

In order to make really valid recommendations, it would really help to know exactly "when" in October you plan to be visiting Provence - hope to hear from you soon.

berkeley ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

I noticed that several years ago you sent out a Travelers Aid document about Provence. Is it still available? My husband and I are walking for 7 days in Provence in September but then have another week to explore. I would appreciate your information if it is still available.

Thanks

Tallenhouse@gmail.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

La Maison Poynder does look lovely!

Seattle
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

We want stay in a charming villages and a good base to visit other areas in Provence. We also want to visit roman and medival sites and would love some great restaurant recommendations. Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

Check out Maussane-les-Alpilles. It's a lovely village that is close to St. Remy and not that far from Paradou. We love it, and have been spending every September there since '95 - only another t weeks until we're back in the place that we think of as "Heaven on Earth."

I urge you to consider establishing a single base, or at most one per week, as constantly relocating wastes alot of time.

Mentioned in this post
Paradou
Paradou
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
9. Re: Need recommendations on where to stay in Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 07:19