We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there local small group tours with Provence

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there local small group tours with Provence

I am looking at taking a guided trip around Provence about May 2014 for about 7 to ten days. As I am middle age and travelling solo I thought this would be the better option as I don't want to hire a vehicle. I am interested in a small group local tour that will visit Arles, Nimes and Avignon in particular but don't mind other ports of call. I will probably be travelling down from Paris.

If anyone can advise me if they know of any such local tour group that is reasonably priced and accommodation included, I would be interested to know.

If this is not known then perhaps advise me as to the best way to visit the Provence area.

Would trips come out of Lyon?

Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

No, trips wouldn't come out of Lyon, they'd come out of Provence. I have never done group tours in Provence, except when I've actually given them myself, and on my own I have always rented a car, but I would assume that the tourist office websites of Avignon, Arles, Nîmes, Aix, St-Rémy, etc., would be the places to contact for such tours. There is also some public transportation available (buses and trains) to get you to these places. That information would also be on city/town tourist office websites (and for trains on www.voyages-sncf.com).

And just so you know, driving in the area is really a piece of cake and allows you to meander as you wish and not be tied to others' schedules, though you would have to contend with driving on the right.

2. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2015, 20:32
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

I thank you both for your information, it is quite helpful and appreciate the hyperlinks. I have driven in Italy before and I must admit I had to keep my wits about me when driving on the right side of the road. Those roundabouts were tricky - I tailgated the car in front more often than not.

I don't speak French, but am learning polite phrases. Would there be a big problem for me in Provence under those circumstances.

Where would it best to be based to take a trip to the Pont de Gard? and what mode of transport is best (beside a car)

Thanks again for you advice

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

There are buses from Avignon to Pont du Gard.

I know someone who did this tour in Provence last year and enjoyed it. www.european-experiences.com/luberon-france/

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

You could get around using buses and trains and also take tours from the tourist office. To do this you would need to stay in one of the larger towns, for example Avignon, where you could stay in one of the many B&Bs or hotels. From there you could take the train to Nimes or Arles, or join one of the tours to smaller villages.

You can take a bus from Avignon to the Pont du Gard, the A15 bus runs from Avignon to Alès, which you would catch at the bus station which is near the town railway station. You would get off at the bus stop Rond Point Pont du Gard (the roundabout nearby) and the fare is 1€ 50 each way. Here's the current timetable:

edgard-transport.fr/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

You could make a day of your visit to the Pont du Gard by catching the A15 again to the charming nearby town of Uzès for lunch and a wander around the interesting medieval centre, catching the bus back to Avignon later. You would get off the bus at Uzès Esplanade, and catch your bus back to Avignon from the same bus stop.

Wherever you visit, you'll find the tourist offices very helpful and staff speak English; you can also email them if you have particular queries. Each TO will supply town maps for self-walk tours of the town with info included or you could take organised tours on selected days. Here's the Avignon TO tour page with tour companies:

avignon-tourisme.com/menu/discover/guided-to…

Hope some of the replies here will help you with your decisions.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

Thanks everyone, its most helpful. Giving me the courage to venture out by myself.

7. Re: Is there local small group tours with Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16