We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence in MId October

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Provence in MId October

Hi everyone,

Planning to rent a car with my husband and go around in Provence. We are flying to Nice on oct 14 and going back to Geneva with TGV on oct 21. Have already been to Nice,and the Cote d"Azur. Would like to get to know (or at least start) the colors and tastes of Provence a little off the beaten track. Stay at cosy B&Bs instead of the 4/5 stars, but still comfortable and give a feast to our taste buds.. Given that october can be somewhat cool what would be the best option for a route which would include Aix, Cassis, Biot, La Ciotat? Better to have a base town or travel every other day? Provence experts, I am looking forward to your answers before I start booking.

Thanks in advance

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence in MId October

Where are you travelling back from?

If you have already done Nice and the Cote d'Azur I would suggest heading further west and inland to see Provence.

I would also choose one place as a base rather than move around - say near Avignon or the Alpilles National Park

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence in MId October

Thanks for the advice but I am afraid it might be too chilly if we move too much away from the shore and upwards. We will fly into Nice and drive towards Aix en provence or Avignon as you suggested; what is the best way to get there in terms of enjoying Provence and making the best out of the way? Can you name towns that should not be missed; of course in the limited period of 8 days? Thank you

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence in MId October

I strongly recommend that you get a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Provence and do some research to narrow down your options. Then we can help with specific recommendations. With 8 days you can actually see quite a lot of you follow the itineraries laid out in the Guide.

If western Provence is your goal, fly into Marseille instead of Nice and save travel time.

provence
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence in MId October

Get the guide as Catullus suggests - there is a very pretty road along the coast from Nice to Marseille and onto Aix.

October is changeable. Some years we have been able to sit by our pool well into late October (we are between Aix and Avignon).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provence in MId October

Thanks so much. I will certainly get the Guide. I am flying from Istanbul and they don't have a direct flight to Marseilles. So we will have to drive from Nice to Aix or Marseilles. Would you recommend Istres and around or Montpellier and Nimes? or both? We speak French and we love the markets . However I will do my lesson and then get back to you.

provence
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provence in MId October

Personally I would opt for a base at or near Avignon. Not fond of Istres and Montpellier (in the Languedoc area) is a good place to visit as a contrast to the Roman influence in Provence.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provence in MId October

Avignon can be a good option and we can still take the TGV to Geneva from there without driving into Marseilles Thanks

Any local markets worth seeing? I know Arles is a big one. .

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provence in MId October

Avignon can be a good option and we can still take the TGV to Geneva from there without driving into Marseilles Thanks

Any local markets worth seeing? I know Arles is a big one. .

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provence in MId October

Duplicate post.

10. Re: Provence in MId October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:20