We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying Tolls with Credit Card

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Paying Tolls with Credit Card

Bonjour - We have been in Provence now for about 3 weeks and have driven many roads, including the tollways. So far, we have only done short trips and have paid the tolls with cash.

Tomorrow morning we are driving to Nice and we assume that we will encounter

a number of toll booths and therefore may not have enough cash to pay for all sections.

We have read that we can pay by credit card, but are not sure just how this works.

We have a Mastercard - with a pin number.

There is a slot (next to the one for the ticket) where I guess one inserts the credit card.

Does the machine automatically read the card ? Do we have to punch in all the numbers on the card ?

Any advice will be really appreciated. Merci in advance.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

There are big signs on the road ahead of each toll gate that tell you which cards are accepted - make sure you have one of those (!) then drive into one of the lanes with the symbol for card payments, pull up to the machine, insert your card and remove it when it is pushed back out. There are no PINs required. If you want a receipt, there is a button to press. Very fast, very simple and the only drawback is that your credit card bill may run to an extra page with all those small transactions.

2. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 20:30
Edited: 12 January 2016, 20:30
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

This short video shows how it usually works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhNbrW5GOzI

In this instance the slots for the ticket and the credit card are separate and side by side.

At some toll booths the same slot is used for both ticket and card. The words ticket/carte appear above the slot. You insert first the ticket, then the card.

If you want a receipt, press the button marked 'recu' which is usually to the right of the ticket/card slots.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 13:57
Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

Just in case...

While stopping at the booth and sorting the payment with your card, just use the hazard warning lights so that cars do not pile up behind you.

This page for detailed journey and fares.Up to 20 € bills accepted if I remember well.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htm?itiFrom=13000+Marseille%2C+France&itiTo=nice

The other option via Toulon would imply driving through Toulon city center for a while.

I Hope everything works fine.

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

Merci beaucoup Moth, Diz, celestina and guidemontelimar_13 for your very helpful advice.

It sounds as though it should not be a big problem.

Celestina - your video was extremely helpful and has really put my mind at ease.

I just love Tripadvisor and the helpful people it attracts.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 14:33
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

I have to say our Australian chip and pin cards do NOT work in any unstaffed machine that we have tried in France. If the PIN is not required they may work. We just use cash.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

You never enter the PIN on a French motorway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

OK. We don't in parking stations etc here either.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

We have also found that our Australian chip and pin cards do not work at unstaffed places. e.g. petrol stations. We always have to sign when we use our credit card. Therefore we do not try to use them at toll-booths. Just have the cash . It is not a huge amount. We always have cash for small purchases anyway e.g. a pastry, a baguette, a coffee.

BUT, and why? je ne sais quoi, it did work in the parking lot at Mont St Michel. We were there a few days after the new parking opened. We could not find any other way to pay, and the attendant indicated that was it. He was nearby so we had back-up, and we were surprised when it worked. But we still prefer to pay cash at toll booths. We know it will work.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying Tolls with Credit Card

I am guessing here but it is likely that ghost station pumps are programmed only to accept French cards and given the relatively high amounts involved in a fuel purchase reject any possibly suspicious cards.

Ed