We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Villages in Provence?

Mobile, Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Small Villages in Provence?

Hello all,

I will be traveling to Provence next summer for a month (half June, half July) with my mother. We want to stay in a small village near the coast that hasn't been run over by tourists, and we also want to stay in one place. Does anybody have any suggestions for a small village?

Thanks,

Camille

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

'Near the coast' and 'tourist free' are not compatible. In fact, 'away from the coast' and 'tourist free' doesn't exist either. France attracts more visitors than anywhere else in the world, and you will be travelling for at least two weeks of peak time (French holidays start in July). But if you are more worried about the kind of tourist that arrives by the coach load, we should be able to help.

Apart from an absence of tourists, what do you want from your village? How are you expecting to pass your time in Provence? Any clues you can offer will help...

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,014 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

There are no villages in Provence which have not been over run by tourists. You could shift a bit to the west and try Languedoc. There are places such as Uzès, Sommières, and maybe even Pézanes which are rich in history, near the sea, and not yet sufficiently frequented by hordes of tourists.

Mobile, Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

Thanks for your helpful insight. We hope to spend lots of time outdoors (hiking, swimming, sailing, etc.) and good restaurants with friendly people would definitely be a plus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

Moth and Sarastro are right on. Quiet and Provence in July just don't fit together. Places like Cassis are crazy at the time that you will be visiting. Saint-Cyr-sur-Mer usually flys a little below the radar. That might fit the bill for you. I'd check it out or look further westward as Sarastro says.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

You might consider staying somewhere around the Lac de Ste-Croix, a man-made lake that offers many recreational opportunities. From there you could take a trip to the Gorges du Verdon, very popular with posters here.

I hope you're planning to rent a car--public transportation in Provence away from the sea isn't designed for visitors to the area.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 00:35
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

Lac de Ste-Croix is inland about an hour from the coast and crowded at the time you want to go.

Which tourists do you want to avoid - Americans? If you can tolerate French, Dutch and English then look at the coast between Ste Maxime and Toulon. It will not be a small village but it is where a large number of French people holiday.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

In order to make any sort of valid recommendations regarding potential bases we really need to know:

- whether you want to base yourselves in Provence or somewhere along the Cote d'Azur

- how far inland you are willing to be, if you don't have to be right along the Med. rim

Hope to hear from you soon

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

Some villages here, most of which ( except Rousillon) are within an hour of Nice and the beach.

fotopedia.com/reporter/stories/_hvFwP3dLK8

While many of us associate rural Provence with quaint villages there are actually over 70 hill villages in the back country of the Cote d'Azur which for the most part are next to deserted in summer - everyone is on the beach and neglects the interior. On the other hand the classic Provencal villages are filled with traffic jams of 4X 4 Vehicles.

Personally I would recommend Biot or Haut de Cagnes which are within a stone's throw of the beach yet are genuine perched villages and relatively untouristed. A little further inland are Tourettes sur Loup and le Bar sur Loup. I won't begin with east of Nice but ... Peille, Peillon etc etc.

Ed

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

>>>>>..for the most part are next to deserted in summer<<<<<

Note I said above - but please don't count Eze and St Paul de Vence in this category - favourites of cruise bus tour groups.

Ed

10. Re: Small Villages in Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16