We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning trip in Provence

san francisco
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
help planning trip in Provence

my husband and I are planning a trip in early May. We have travelled in France but never in Provence. We have a total of two weeks- we fly into Marseilles and out of Paris. We like to bike, hike and canoe/kayak. Its a special anniversary so we'd like to stay somewhere romantic for at least part of the time. I was looking at Chateau de Alpilles for 4 nights and then something else in the luberon for 3 or 4 nights- maybe a B and B. I have been looking at house rentals but they all seem to require a week and the ones that are suitable for 2 people don't have pools. We are open to all suggestions for accommodations and itineraries. Should we combine Provence with Riviera? the Dordogne? all suggestions are appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning trip in Provence

Good for you for starting your own thread. Hopefully you will get the amswers that you are looking for.

To start off with, pools in Provence aren't typically heated, so you are not going to be doing any swimming in May. So, I would look at a 7 day vacation rental without a pool. Much better to have a villa / house / gite as a base than a hotel or B&B.

The Chateau de Alpilles is a lovely spot, however St Remy as a town is underwhelming.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning trip in Provence

Will the two weeks also include stay in Paris and, if yes, how long? You could start with the Riviera, then move to Western Provence, then train and end in Paris. Or, you could start in Provence, then move to the Dordogne (long travel day but can be done), then train to Paris.

I can think of few romantic places to stay.. How much do you want to spend? I can be quite an enabler ;)

3. Re: help planning trip in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:17