We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
407 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

Hi everyone. We will be there Wednesday.!!! Staying in Nice, then train to Menton, then train to Antibes.

Can I bring a small suitcase-the standard size you can carry on to most airplanes ? Can I keep it with me where passengers sit or does it get stored in a separate compartment. ?

Thank you much.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

You can take as much luggage as you can handle. Why is this urgent?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

Note that your luggage must be labelled (name and address). You'll find paper labels at the station (free).

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

<Can I bring a small suitcase-the standard size you can carry on to most airplanes ?>

Yes.

<Can I keep it with me where passengers sit>

Yes.

<does it get stored in a separate compartment. ?>

No.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

Thank you everyone.

"Urgent" because I'm trying to pack!

Thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

I don't get why this is urgent.I thought you'd traveled in France before. You can carry anything you can handle on your own on a train in France. Pack light. It's not rocket science; you just need one of every essential component - pretty easy to figure out.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,536 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

You can keep it with you as long as it does not encroach on the space of other passengers, if you are in one of those four-people configurations. There is often space behind your seat or an overhead where you could store your luggage. Otherwise, you will have to park your feet on it. It is easier to pack light in the summertime when clothing is light and things dry overnight in your hotel room. So, I get it if you need a few extra things.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

On the local commuter TER trains e.g Nice to Cannes, Antibes, Monaco et- as I expect you will will be travelling - these are, in most cases, 2 tier trains ( without individual compartments) and getting up stairs is a problem if the downstairs is full. Otherwise outside the busy rush hour I don't see any problem even with large cases.

Ed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

So many questions about "why urgent ?"

I have travelled by taxi or car between various hotels.

I have never taken the train with luggage between hotels

"Urgent" because I had to pack last night.

Thanks everyone.

St cirq - I don't get the catty comments about rocket science and packing light. Nothing to do with my question. I was asking about any rules on trains re luggage and storage I now have my answers.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 10:52
9. Re: Urgent! Carry-on suitcase on the riviera train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17