We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Solo Vistor

Kansas City MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Solo Vistor

I would like to rent a studio on the coast and was thinking of Marseille but it doesnt look like it may be a place for a single woman to be walking around. Are there towns along the coast that are safer? I am on a budget

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

Your question is too generic. What are you looking for? Large city....small village? Beach?

When are you travelling? What is your budget for accomodations for a week in euros?

Kansas City MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

probably some place that you would not need a car. i am planning on the last week of january. Would like to just walk around, see the little shops and get close enough to the ocean to take some photos. Would like 60 or less a night in EU. Can share bathroom but would like a private room. I was looking at Nice and Marseille looked really cool but i would need to know what parts of the city were safe

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

Marseille is a large, gritty port city that has all of the pluses and minuses that go with that.

You needn't worry about your safety in French cities and towns like you need to in the US. It is much safer. There is pickpocketing and property crimes, but you don't need to worry about being assaulted as is common where you come from.

Nice has excellent and inexpensive public transportation and has a broad range of accomodations including lower-end packpacker type accomodations that would fit your budget.

Kansas City MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

Nice sounds good. I am starting in Paris but if I get that close to an ocean, i just cant resist. Have you ever taken the train from Paris to Nice?

thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

I agree that it sounds like Nice would best fill the bill, especially in chilly January.

You'll want to book your TGV Tickets right away in order to get the best price.

You can search here: www.voyages-sncf.com be sure to choose Antarctic as you ticket collection country in order to avoid being routed to the more expensive Rail Europe. To book you may need to use an altrenative site: www.capitainetrain.com as SNCF doesn't like most US issued credit cards.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

You can fly from Paris to Nice in about 1.5 hours in or the TGV takes about 6 hours. You can book the TGV 90 days in advance.

If you fly, bear in mind the cost of getting out to CDG and then from NCE to downtown Nice.

The TGV goes "downtown to downtown."

7. Re: First Time Solo Vistor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16