We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I0 days in the South of France in May

Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
I0 days in the South of France in May

Wondering about a good itinerary that allows for a visit in western Provence with a jaunt to Monaco

thoughts? should we rent a pied a terre for 4 days in one spot and another around Nice?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,548 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I0 days in the South of France in May

I join in the suggestions of splitting the time between the Riviera and Western Provence. You will need a car to explore the region, but you already know that, no doubt. As dat noted above, unless you want to devote seven nights to one base, Saturday to Saturday, you will need to look into staying in hotels or B&B. Apartments and country cottages/gites rent on weekly basis almost exclusively.

There are also very nice restaurant-hotels where you could buy a half board, i.e., breakfast and dinner included. It is nice to explore the whole day, then return to your hotel, and have beautifully set up and delicious supper waiting.

Do get a Michelin Green Guide for Provence and one for Cote d'Azur. Also, get a Michelin map so that you can appreciate the lay of the land and distances involved. You have a nice chunk of time to get a good overview of the region.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 16:54
New York
Level Contributor
596 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I0 days in the South of France in May

If you are interested in considering eastern provence, I found an apartment in Lourmarin that rents for less than a week. We are spending three weeks in provence and have rented it for 5 nights in June 2014. Since we haven't been there yet i have no info other than what we saw on the website. Http://www.anciennemaisondesgardes.com.

It looks lovely on the website and my interactions with Rose have been reassuring. I can't remember how I found it; I don't think it was on TA but may have been VRBO.

(I have no connection with this property)

Edited: 03 December 2013, 23:32
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I0 days in the South of France in May

Personally, I would do, at most 1 or 2 days in Nice, and then head straight to Provence. Why? Because there are so many more interesting places and historical sites to visit, in Provence, and, IMHO the food tends to be much really good seasonal / regional food , as opposed to just OK.,

The Michelin maps that you will need to explore the area near Nice, the Riviera / Cote d'Azur, and the Drome, Vaucluse ( Avignon ), are the following maps in the Local series:

# 341 - Alpes-Maritimes (includes Nice)

# 340 - Bouches-du-Rhone, Var ( includes - Aix, Arles, Tarascon and les Stes. Maries-de-la-Mer

# 332 - Drome, Vaucluse ( includes - Apt, Vaison-la-Romaine, Carpentras, and Nyons, ...)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I0 days in the South of France in May

NIce is a fascinating city with tons to see / do and there is again a wealth of sites and activities in the Cote d'Azur whether you are into Roman ruins, museums / galleries or "perched" villages.

You really have to search to find "bad" food in France. Cuisine in the Cote d'Azur is equal to anywhere in the rest of the country and if you are looking for Michelin starred restaurants in the area, there are countless choices.

15. Re: I0 days in the South of France in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18