We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

I apologize for the French version. I did not realize I was on the English side of trip advisor.

I am travelling with a 7 year old child and an elderly person to Camargue this July. I was wondering if someone could let me know which place is better for staying over; stes Maries or aigues Mortes. I would prefer not to use the car unless for excursion. My son is very active so I was thinking beaches, biking, walking, horse riding.

I am also thinking to spend some time in a ''mas'' . If anyone has some recommandations, it will be much appreciated. thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

Thanks Nathalie...

More people can learn more here from your question.

You really NEED a car in this region....you really need to re-think if you want to explore the area To rent a mas / gite / villa you really need to be in the area for a week....Saturday to Saturday.......that is pretty standard practice for vacation rentals.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 08:33
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,946 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

I agree a car is almost 100% essential in the Camargue. Also the place is basically a large flat marsh and unless you are very avid nature lovers indeed IMO opinion a week is overkill.

However, may I suggest you choose Arles as your base which will give you far more variety including Roman antiquities, mediaeval churches, a choice of good restauants - not to mention places associated with van Gogh and other artists. And , without a car, you can take 4x4 tours of the Camargue from here - several companies offer them from Arles.

Ed

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

I don't know how you'd ever even get to Ste-Marie or Aigues-Mortes without a car! Or why you'd want to, as there is little to do there on foot; it's all about driving around and seeing the wildlife and refuges and rice paddies and sand wine vineyards and seascapes. Without a car, the Camargue is not a viable destination. Either rent a car and find a place in Aigues-Mortes (there aren't any mas there - it's a town), or base in Arles and get the tourist office to connect you with tour operators.

4. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 22:39
Edited: 19 January 2016, 22:39
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

I visited both towns in Oct. (same day, short visits), and preferred Aigues-Mortes. There is a very old Romanesque church in Stes. Maries that is interesting, and we attended Les Courses, but the rest of the town was very touristy, IMO. Of course, the sea-side location is very pretty.

St. Saturnin d'Apt...
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

Hi Nathalie,

As others have mentioned, I think a car would be pretty much essential for a stay in the Camargue. Given that outdoors activities (beach,biking) seem paramount, I'd recommend staying near Les Saintes. We once did a short 3 day trip and stayed at a manade/small hotel about 5km from town (Hôtel de Cacharel) which while certainly not chic but was very much authentic and relaxed with a nice poool and very friendly owners. As a plus, you could leave right from the property for a horseback excursion. You'd need to take the car into town and the beach, but it's really not a big deal. Plus, keep in mind that July will be very crowded, so being a bit away from the "zoo" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

While I find Aigues-Mortes fascinating, I'd still say Les Saintes will be better for you primarily because of the beach. Sure Les Saintes is touristy, but I find it strangely refreshing since it's nearly 100% French tourists in the summertime and mostly families on beach vacations. You can also do a great bike ride along the digue de la mer, which I highly recommend. By all means, go for an afternoon to Aigues-Mortes - your kid can burn off tons of energy touring the medieval walls if nothing else !

Also, do plan a day trip to Arles - you're so close, it would be a shame not to.

- Kevin

Edited: 03 January 2014, 07:47
7. Re: Stes Maries or aigues-Mortes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:19