We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

Toronto
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

First time to france, we will be staying 7 days in Paris, then going to cote d'azur.

Want to see:

Antibes, Juan-des-pins, cannes, Nice,St Paul, Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, St Tropez, Aix en Provence, Luberon

Not sure where to stay and if this is too many places to see in 9 days. I have heard some people don't like Nice so not sure If I want to stay there or maybe stay in Antibes. Looking for a more relaxed time when we are here, do some shopping, dining, people watching, going to beach if the weather is good.

Should we stay at multiple places or choose one or 2 places and drive everywhere/take the train to the other places. How far is the drive from Nice to Aix en provence?

Is Antibes the same as Juan-des-pins? which is better to stay?

Also where is the best beach?

Is driving easy, is there affordable and/or free parking?

Please let me know if I should take anything of the list and add anything.

thanks for the help

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

IMHO, you are planning to try to see WAY to much in the 9 days that you have to explore sites in the South of France.

I urge you to seriously consider slowing down, and exploring either the Riviera/Cote d';Azure or Provence from a single, well centered base, or, at most two bases..

You should get the Michelin Guides for:

- The French Riviera / Cote d'Azur

- Provence

You should also get these Michelin Maps in the Local Series, as they will really help you to explore the region via the most scenic routes:

- # 341, Alpes-Maritimes ( includes Nice )

- # 340, Bouches-du-Rhone, Var ( includes Marseilles, Aix, Arles, Marseillles ...)

- # 332, Drome, Vaucluse ( includes Avignon, Orange, Apt, Nyons )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

I reccomend 2 basis. 1 in Provence and 1 in the cote d'azure.

You can stay in Aix or the Luberon towns for a few days.

Then go to the riviera and stay in Nice or Antibes and visit Juan-des-pins, cannes, St Paul, etc.

I agree you may want to cut back on your list of individual towns but 9 days is fine for a riviera cluster and a Provence cluster.

It's better to have a car in Provence and no car in the riviera.

Toronto
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

So should I skip Aix en Provence & Luberon? And if I did go to Luberon area can I take a train there from Antibes then rent a car in Aix or Luberon? Also is it too hard to get to st tropez?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

I don't think anyone is telling you to skip the Luberon - just that you have too much in mind for 9 days. You can split this up between the two regions.

From Paris you can take the TGV to either Avignon or Aix and rent a car there. Find a central location to explore the areas that you want to see and stay 4 nights. Personally, I'd skip St. Tropez. and drive to Nice on day 5 and spend the remainder of your time there. One one trip I split my time in Nice between a city hotel and a hotel near St. Paul de Vence and used this location to explore some hill towns by car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

No!! Keep the Luberon /Aix. That is true Provenxe and a different feel than the cote d'azure /riviera.

Do both areas just don't cram so many towns as per your list in the riviera part.

6. Re: Where to stay-9 day trip to Provence, Cote d'azur in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:19