We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a base in Provence

fairfax, Virginia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a base in Provence

We are planning on spending 8 days in Provence - 5 in the Western region and 3 in Nice. We are taking the TGV from Paris to Avignon and renting a car. It would be my husband, our teenage daughter and I traveling. We want to see a variety of sites and enjoy the beauty and people of the area. We want to include Camaruge, Le Baux, ruins, markets and the bulls. Not planning on any museums as we will do those in Paris. Is Arles a good base, or does anyone have other suggestions? Will will drive to Nice to spend a couple of days and fly home from there.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

Arles would be a good base for the places that you want to visit. Other bases that you might also want to consider include St. Remy-de-Provence and Maussane-les-Alpilles.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

Do you see yourselves basing in the countryside or in a small town? Arles is ok, if you are thinking small town. St. Remy, likewise. But, there are lovely-lovely small villages with drop-dead views. Personally, I like those better, but this is me.

fairfax, Virginia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

I'm not sure which we would prefer. A small village does sound intriguing. Also I forgot to mention, we are going in the summer time. thanks all.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

Since you will be visiting the area in the Summer, which is High Tourist Season, you need to do your research and make your reservation(s) ASAP.

Arles, with a population of 52,000+ is what I would consider to be a small city. on the other hand, St. Remy (population of 10,000+ is more of a somewhat small town. While Maussane (population 2,000+ is a real Provencal village, surrounded by lovely olive groves and vineyards - it also has a number of lovely restaurants and good places to stay, in large part because it is situated just below Les Baux, and is well centered for visiting St. Remy, Arles and the Camargue.

fairfax, Virginia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

We are hoping to rent an apartment or small villa. On VRBO for that time of year, most are 7 day rentals. Can anyone suggest an agency with rentals in the area?

Also, would you suggest spending more time in a village and skipping Nice?

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

You should check out the Ville-et-Village website. They are located in California, and arrange for property rentals in Europe - we have used them and fund that the properties were exactly as described.

7. Re: Ideas for a base in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:22