We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

loire or provence after cycling tour

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
loire or provence after cycling tour

A two week trip: in and out of CDG airport

After group cycling the Luberon for 6 days in mid May, my husband and I are trying to decide if want to stay in Aix en Provence where our group finishes and explore on our own and in detail the Provence sights further ... and live the slower market strolling mornings , peppered with cooking class , flower and small garden tours, just drive....We will avoid the coast due to Cannes festival and crowds. Would like to visit Tourtour though, and he may satisfy an itch to cycle Mont Ventoux on his own one day.

Or....

take the train from Aix to Loire ( Tours) and put down a base hotel from which to explore this region. We love food, architecture and gardens (will gladly follow the poppy fields) , natural scenic wonders but not standing in lines to walk inside chateaus day after day. We do not want to be in a different hotel every night. At least 2 if not three. Opinions /comments on filling in our itinerary are most welcome.

Day 1 train to Avignon, Hotel d'Europe

Day 2 Avignon

Day 3 Avignon

Day 4 - 9 Backroads premier inn group bike Luberon

Day 10 - Aix, Le Maison de Aix

Day 11 - Aix , Le Maison de Aix

Day 12 ??

Day 13 ??

Day 14 ??

Day 15 (12 noon flt. from CDG airport)

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: loire or provence after cycling tour

Aix, with a population of 141,000+ is quite a large city, and , IMHO, doesn't have much in the way of Provencal ambiance. You might want to consider establishing a base in a smaller, more scenic venue, such as Maussane-les-Alpilles, a lovely village that sits just below Les Baux and is well situated for exploring many nearby sites including Arles, the Camargue, and the Alpilles, where you can do some more biking. It is also not a super-long a trip to Mt. Ventoux, in case your DH does decide that he wants to bike there.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: loire or provence after cycling tour

I like the idea of two base hotels, one St. Remy or Arles and another to see part of the Var Region. Any thoughts on a town or village in Var? Thank you for your suggestions. So I take it you would not go to Loire? Would love to find a guided market tour and half day cooking class along my route, favorites? Any idea where I will see huge poppy fields or lux type hotels with gardens to view at lunch?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: loire or provence after cycling tour

We find the Loire Valley rather less interesting than Provence, which is so varied in what there is to see. The Loire Valley is generally flat; Provence has hills and the beautiful coastline.

4. Re: loire or provence after cycling tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18