We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon or Aix?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
18 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon or Aix?

We want to spend four days in a city/town in Provence in mid-May and are debating between Avignon and Aix. I would love to hear people's thoughts. Food, wine and walkability are our priorities. Merci beaucoup!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Will you have a car and do you intend to do day trips? If yes, then I think Avignon is a better hub in terms of day tripping in Provence. If no car, well, I still think Avignon is a better hub. :) You can visit Aix on a day trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon or Aix?

If you have a car, consider staying at a smaller town rather than a large city. There are many choices in the area you mention, such at St-Rémy, Isle-sur-la-Sorge, Uzès, Mausanne-les-Alpilles, and more.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Catullus is absoutely right in suggesting that you base in a yet smaller town/village. I merely answered your question as between the two towns. Perhaps if you elaborate on what you envision yourselves doing in Provence, we could zero a little better on a base.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
18 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

We're really not much for "daytripping" - happy to do a little, but we tend to like to explore on foot rather than by car. Hence my thinking in picking a larger city/town. Looking for a place that is a destination in itself rather than a place from which to explore other areas.

I visited Aix in college, like so many others, and really loved it. I've never been to Avignon.

So I guess my question is - if you could only go to one city in Provence and stay there for a couple days, which one would it be?

p.s. we will be visiting Gordes after our time in the larger city

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Arles would be the city for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon or Aix?

+1 for Arles.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Here's another vote for Arles.

While I spent some time in Aix while I was in college, we now spend a month in Provence every year, and trust me, Arles is the place to go, especially if you are looking for good food, wine and interesting walkable sites

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Any recommendations for tour guides in Aix, Avignon or Arles ?

First time in Provence, looking to take train to Marseilles , then make AIx home base and visit Arles & Avignon Don't want to miss a thing & looking for good tour guides or other recommendations?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon or Aix?

Lynne....you really don't need a tour guide to visit there places. They are all easy to do on your own. Just read a couple of guide books and have fun....

Edited: 16 February 2014, 21:28
10. Re: Avignon or Aix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2016, 21:34