We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

4 posts
Save Topic
St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

I'm planning a trip to France with my boyfriend in March. We're spending 5 nights in Paris and then 3 nights in Provence. I've been doing copious searching through the forums and have decided to make a home base in a smaller more Provence-like town than staying in Aix. After a lot of researching I think I have it down to St Remy or L'isle sur la Sorgue. Any thoughts? Preferences? Recommendations?

Also, would love any B&B or restaurant recommendations that are 'don't miss' while we're in the area.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

Are you going to have a car? If not you may find staying in a smaller town will limit your public transport options.

Personally I would stay in Avignon and use that as a base to visit the smallers towns if you do not have your own transport.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

We will have a car. We'll be coming from 5 nights in Paris and after a fair bit of research it seemed like contrasting Paris to the small town feel would allow us to really experience Provence. We are taking the TGV from Paris to Avignon so the plan was to spend an afternoon there but focus the rest of the trip on smaller villages. No? Is that a bad idea?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

Mainly because of the way the two towns are laid out, we would prefer to base in or near St. Remy in order to make day trips to L'Isle sur la Sorgue as well as several smaller villages within an hour's drive. It also depends on your "target" smaller villages. Some might be more convenient from one or the other.

Brea, Ca.
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

The TGV station is outside the main areas of Avignon, not far but with traffic and parking, it is a small hassle to get back into central Avignon to see the usual tourist sights. Personally, I find the traffic around Avignon something to avoid especially so when you consider the lovely villages and other options nearby.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

St Remy is an underwhelming place.

L'Isle sur la Sorgue has much more to offer....and right on the edge of the lovely Luberon.

6. Re: St Remy vs L'isle sur la Sorgue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:19